Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > KJ General Discussion

Register to remove these ads.

KJ General Discussion

Engine problems

This is a discussion on Engine problems within the KJ General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! I have a 2002 liberty with a big engine problem. It all started ...

General discussion forum for KJ Liberty's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2005, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Engine problems

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
I have a 2002 liberty with a big engine problem. It all started 4/8 - my chck engine light went on. I immediately brought it to a local mechanic since I have 75k miles on it & no more warranty. Code 304 - 4th cylinder misfiring...replaced the coil pack/full tune up. Next day, started up truck, engine light now flashes at me and you can hear the misfire. Shut it off, start it up, the engine light is back on, runs great. Bring it back to mechanic. He checks, again 4th misfiring. Replaces coil pack (defect he says), get it back. Runs great for 3 whole days. One morning, again, engine light flashes at me. Code 304 again. Shut if off, restart, runs great, light remains. Bring it back. Mechanic resets. Things look great. Have it back 1 day, again, but yet, code 302 - now its cylinder 2 misfiring. Damn. Bring it back. He replaces the coil pack in cylinder 2 - get it back. Very next morning, truck does not sound healthy. Engine light flashing at me...knock in the engine..doesn't sound good. Bring it back. 4th spit out my rocker arm and lifter for the push rod. Ok, fix it. Done. Next day, same thing. Ok, replace the rocker arm again, spring, lifter, coil pack. Got it back, didn't even drive 30 miles and check engine light is back. Take it home, next morning,...knock, knock, knock in the engine. Damn. Not liking codes 302 or 304. I just stole it back from my mechanic when the shop was closed...had it towed to a dealer now since it's obvious mechanic doesn't know Jeeps. Now it's sitting at a dealer and my worse fear..blown head gasket. Has anyone here had any problems like this or am I just cursed with a bad Jeep??? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm livid.
jdamanthey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

that is terrible, I am sorry, but no problems like that, at least not yet.

LIVESTRONG
-Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or died of cancer

JeepKJ Country #025

2007 White Jeep Wrangler X 2-door
yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Wow, this is the first time ive ever heard of a problem like that from a libby engine. Thats insane. First time for me.
-OME/Rustys Lift
-Powertrax No-slip
-Flowmaster 50 Series SUV
-245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS
Jeepsters Gallery
JeepJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Which engine do you have, the 4 cylinder or the 3.7 V6? I know that Chrysler's have quite a history of blown head gaskets in the 4 cylinder engines, but I don't know if the 4 cylinder libby has issues like this. I can tell you from experience that I've replaced blown head gaskets in my 87 Dodge Aries, 91 Plymouth Acclaim, my friend's 96 Neon, my parents 96 Stratus......the list goes on and on. So if it's the 4 cylinder you have.......well.........
Old 05-04-2005, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have a 6cyl 3.7 engine. I spoke w/another local Jeep - they replaced three engines alone this week. All with over 70k miles.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Kombat Edition Jeep

Originally Posted by stackthepads30
Which engine do you have, the 4 cylinder or the 3.7 V6? I know that Chrysler's have quite a history of blown head gaskets in the 4 cylinder engines, but I don't know if the 4 cylinder libby has issues like this. I can tell you from experience that I've replaced blown head gaskets in my 87 Dodge Aries, 91 Plymouth Acclaim, my friend's 96 Neon, my parents 96 Stratus......the list goes on and on. So if it's the 4 cylinder you have.......well.........
Those headgasket issues with the 4 cylinder engines was fixed around '97/'98 for future reference.

Sorry to hear about your problems.... what engines are they replacing?

KJ Country's Resident Jeep Employee!
Marlon_JB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

The local dealer is replacing the 6cyl like I have. But since there isn't enough libby's out there with this much mileage yet, nothing is being done by Jeep.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

This is EXACTLY something I didn't want to see.

If it's a blown head gasket, coolant should be inside the engine with the oil. If you can, check it and see if your oil looks like normal oil should. If it looks/smells like coolant, it probably is the head gasket, and the engine is toasted.

very interesting that this is the 3rd one according to your dealer that blew up, as this is the first i've read about it.

Might have to do some research on this one.....I don't like the sound of this.

JeepKJ Country Member #003
-2003 Khaki KJ Sport V-6
-NP 231 Command-Trac
-42RLE Automatic (perhaps the first KJ with the 42RLE)
-235/70/R16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO's

Please help support the site! With out your support, we wouldn't be here!!! To contribute CLICK HERE!!!

They arrested me for being drunk in pubLIC.....I didn't wanna be drunk in pubLIC....I wanted to be drunk in a bar!!!! They threw me in pubLIC....arrest them!!!

2003KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to -=JoN=- Send a message via MSN to -=JoN=-

yeah...3 in one dealer....havnt seen anyone really with effed up engines
maybe like 2 from JU....but one seemed like a lemon....

in either case..it really sux
L..S.T. N.E. #000086

Jeep KJ Country Member # 4
Map yourself
Support Cancer Research
"crap i didnt realize it was on abc family,two steps above watching lifetime lol" -DesertKJ-
-=JoN=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Sorry to hear, as that has got to be a bad thing to have to deal with (and pay for). Cars... love 'em and hate 'em.

Elected to Cabinet on a Pro-Liberty Ticket
"By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty."
grogiefrog is offline   Reply With Quote