Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > Tires / Wheels

Register to remove these ads.



Tires / Wheels

Biggest tires i can run without lift?


This is a discussion on Biggest tires i can run without lift? within the Tires / Wheels forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! Hey guys and gals im new to the fourms, so be easy on ...

Questions about wheels and tires.


Like Tree2Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 01:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
 
ROHO's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23
Question Biggest tires i can run without lift?


Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Hey guys and gals im new to the fourms, so be easy on me.
Anyway i've got a 05 Jeep Liberty 2WD all stock. I was wondering what the biggest size tire is that i could run safely and without any rubbing would be? Without a lift or anything. I ask because my buddy is takeing some almost brand-new tires off his grand cherokee due to a little bit of rubbing on super sharp turns, and he's willing to just give them to me. Im not sure of the size but i think they are 29's.
Also i was wondering, what size are all the stock tires that come on the Libertys?

Thanks, - Kolton.
ROHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Slightly North of the 49 th. Parallel... In HongCouver
Age: 52
Posts: 9,311
Default

Welcome to JK Country.

According to the sticker on the bottom of my glove compartment, these three sizes:
215-75-16
225-70-16
235-70-16
And these are also a popular choice if you want to go a little bigger with out a lift.
245-70-16
Ry' N Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
 
liberty84's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Humble TX
Age: 33
Posts: 589
Default

Hey bro welcome!!
I also have an 05 2wd I'm going 245/75/16 but I'm waiting on my OME/rancho lift.

BTW the tire section has a chart that tells u the width and diameter of tires, it was very usefull for me when I was looking for tires.
liberty84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
ROHO's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23
Default

Thanks for the help guys. Im pretty sure those tires are 245/70R16, im going to go look at them sometime today most likely. That tire chart was pretty helpfull.
Anyway i've got one more question, would my stock rims fit on these new tires? Im not sure but i think their 16's? I know the stock wheels i have are the aluminum one, not the plastic ones. I think the 16 in - 245/70R16, stands for the wheels but im not sure.

Thanks again - Kolton.
ROHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Slightly North of the 49 th. Parallel... In HongCouver
Age: 52
Posts: 9,311
Default

Originally Posted by ROHO View Post
Thanks for the help guys. Im pretty sure those tires are 245/70R16, im going to go look at them sometime today most likely. That tire chart was pretty helpfull.
Anyway i've got one more question, would my stock rims fit on these new tires? Im not sure but i think their 16's? I know the stock wheels i have are the aluminum one, not the plastic ones. I think the 16 in - 245/70R16, stands for the wheels but im not sure.

Thanks again - Kolton.
Yes, 245-70-16's will fit your stock alloy wheels.
Ry' N Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
 
ROHO's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23
Default

Thanks man, i'll most likely be geting them in a few days.
ROHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
 
ROHO's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23
Default

Hey, i've got a few more questions
When i got of of my Liberty today i saw a sticker inside the door jam, which had all of my tire info on it. It said my stock tires are - P225/75r16. After finding that out i went to a tire conversion site and if the sticker is right..my tires would go from 29.3's to 29.5's? Am i missing something or is this right?

The reason is was going to switch is i go off-road sometimes with my friends. They usally go mudding through some pretty thick stuff and the only time i actully go is when there's just a tiny bit of thin mud.
I was going to switch to these off-roading tires from my stock tires in hope of being able to go though some thicker mud, i only have 2WD though.

Would switching to these tires even be worth while? Keep in mind the tires are free..

Thanks for all the help..this forum is the best

- Kolton.
ROHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: just south of doucheville
Posts: 2,049
Default

Originally Posted by ROHO View Post
Hey, i've got a few more questions
When i got of of my Liberty today i saw a sticker inside the door jam, which had all of my tire info on it. It said my stock tires are - P225/75r16. After finding that out i went to a tire conversion site and if the sticker is right..my tires would go from 29.3's to 29.5's? Am i missing something or is this right?

The reason is was going to switch is i go off-road sometimes with my friends. They usally go mudding through some pretty thick stuff and the only time i actully go is when there's just a tiny bit of thin mud.
I was going to switch to these off-roading tires from my stock tires in hope of being able to go though some thicker mud, i only have 2WD though.

Would switching to these tires even be worth while? Keep in mind the tires are free..

Thanks for all the help..this forum is the best

- Kolton.

I am not trying to be an a$$ so dont take it that way
2wd is for on road use and really does not belong off road no matter how mild it is
if you are playing in mud then my guess is that you are blasting through it at a high rate of speed ,remember that for me 10 mph is way to fast for off roading
when you do this it is just way to dangerous get going side ways and clip a tree? a person? another rig? roll your rig?
none of these will end good
I can tell you that clipping a tree going up hill at 5 mph destroyed the fender on my TJ would have been much worse in a KJ

The best thing you can do if you want to go off road is sell the 2wd and get a 4wd
a stock 4wd will go further off road than a lifted and MT'ed 2wd
and come out with almost no damage ,other than a few scratches

sure you can put those tires on and blast through the mud and go a little further than before but get a 4X4 and you can really go off road
I have a picture of my wife in a stock KJ with AT's going up and down hills so steep that the front and rear bumpers drug the ground
front hit going up ,to steep, and going down ,also to steep
same for the rear
a 2wd would have never even started to go up ,no way to get a running start as you would have crashed into the dirt ,remember that the bumper hit
then with out the help of gears to very slowly go down the other side when you got there you would just spin your tires trying to push your way off the ground ,go to fast and you will roll

sorry if I sound like a jerk but fact is 2wd's belong on road
J-Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
ROHO's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23
Default

Yeah i understand. When i've been going though mud, it's been nothing serious just like a muddy old road. If i want to go mudding i just go with my friends in their trucks. Like i said i understand what you are saying.
Im 16, and was just trying to think about some options. I dont really have the money to get a 4x4. I think i'll just start saveing up my pay checks and buy a 4x4 super old truck or jeep for 1,000 - 2,000 and go in that, and keep my Liberty for driveing every day.

With that being said, i still love my Liberty. Just wish it was 4X4 but it's all good.
ROHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: just south of doucheville
Posts: 2,049
Default


Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Originally Posted by ROHO View Post
Yeah i understand. When i've been going though mud, it's been nothing serious just like a muddy old road. If i want to go mudding i just go with my friends in their trucks. Like i said i understand what you are saying.
Im 16, and was just trying to think about some options. I dont really have the money to get a 4x4. I think i'll just start saveing up my pay checks and buy a 4x4 super old truck or jeep for 1,000 - 2,000 and go in that, and keep my Liberty for driveing every day.

With that being said, i still love my Liberty. Just wish it was 4X4 but it's all good.


do like the guy who just started wheeling with us
he had a 2wd Taco and wanted to come wheel
I told him that it was not an option
he saved for a year ,16 at the time, and babied the Taco
sold it and with the money saved bought a TJ

I just helped him lift it
he is running 31" tall MT's
and is now saving for front and rear Quick locks ,lockers
sure it is a 4 banger/auto with a dana 35 but heck by the end of this month
if all goes as planed, he will have the best built and most capable rig in his class I think he said that there is 1 rubicon at his school and another TJ
both still all stock and both scared to go wheel ,even with him
J-Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




GM Truck Forum
Ford Raptor Forum
Chevy Tahoe Forum
Chevy Cobalt Forum
Chevy Camaro Forum
Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Ford Truck Forum
88-98 GM Truck Forum
73-87 Gm Truck Forum
Ford Expedition Forum
Chevy Equinox Forum
Chevy Cruze Forum
Dodge Ram Forum
Jeep Forum
Dodge Ram SRT10 Forum
Chrysler 200 Forum
Scion xD Forum
Scion xB Forum
Dodge Challenger Forum
SRT Forum
Nissan Titan Forum
Buick Enclave Forum
Cadillac Forum
Cadillac XTS Forum