Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > How To

Register to remove these ads.

How To

HOW TO: change serpentine drive belt (3.7L)

This is a discussion on HOW TO: change serpentine drive belt (3.7L) within the How To forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! Since I had to write this up for another thread I decided to ...

In this section it explains how to do installations and modifications.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2007, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default HOW TO: change serpentine drive belt (3.7L)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Since I had to write this up for another thread I decided to add it to the general 'how to's'.

Here is what you'll need to replace your serpentine belt:

1 - 15mm socket on a ratchet or break-over handle. The socket I show is a deep socket but this is not critical.

1 - replacement serpentine belt, Mopar #53032037AK or equivalent.

First open the hood and find the tensioner pulley:

Then take your socket and place it on the center bolt. Rotate the handle clockwise, the tensioner will rotate up and in:

Now remove the serpentine belt from the tensioner pulley, then release the tensioner pulley. You can now remove the serpentine belt. Following the diagram:

place the new serpentine belt around all but the tensioner pulley; the grooves in the belt will fit in the corresponding grooves in the pulleys. Rotate the tensioner pulley up and in one more time and thread the belt around then release the tensioner. Visually inspect the belt one more time to make sure it is threaded properly, then start the engine and verify that everything is turning properly. There, you've changed you serpentine belt yourself and didn't get ripped off by a dealer

And for clarification, although I specified making the tensioner the first pulley to remove the belt from (and the last to place it on), this is not completely necessary. Another good first/last location is the idler pulley located just to the right of the tensioner pulley. As long as the belt is properly threaded around all pulleys you will be fine.
Armando Acosta and profdlp like this.

Kevin
'03 Flame Red Liberty
"A stick of dynamite to blow out the side of the tomb, scoop the bones aside, you grab the Amulet and you run"
I. Jones
American Journal of Archaeology

Last edited by Corwyyn; 01-12-2008 at 03:57 AM.
Corwyyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Administrator

Kevin, nice write up.

Dave

Need More Stuff..

Become a Supporting Member
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/payments.php
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Excellent

Thanks for the post! For whatever reason the geniuses at Jeep decided NOT to place a belt routing diagram sticker or plaque on our 2007 KJ in the engine compartment or owners manual. (Our 1999 2500 Truck has one, the 1988 Commanche has one, but not the 2007 - Hmmm.) Certainly not a good decision considering those "Trail Rated" excursions into the backcountry when the old belt decides to fail. Thanks again.

Paul...
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Is this belt routing the same for ALL 3.7L engines or for a specific year? The dealer serviceman (who had to look it up by the way) gave me a slightly different routing for our 2007 model.

Paul...
Old 06-09-2009, 01:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Is this belt routing the same for ALL 3.7L engines or for a specific year? The dealer serviceman (who had to look it up by the way) gave me a slightly different routing for our 2007 model.

Paul...
It could be,in '07 the 3.7 was setup differently then the older years due to ESP and such.

Most vehicles do not have belt routing stickers in the engine bay,it really sucks being a tech.
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Kombat Edition Jeep

All of our 3.7Ls have looked the same to me... I'll check in the morning to see if there's any difference between mine and my sister's Jeep, which I think will need a new belt soon... but it looks great still.

KJ Country's Resident Jeep Employee!
Marlon_JB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Good writeup!

When i went to test drive my Jeep and i popped the hood i knew i had to have it. Why?? The ease at which you can get to stuff. Trust me, live with doing maintenance on a Pontiac Montana minivan. The serpentine belt is a serious PITA. On the 3.7L KJ you pop the hood and you got tons of room in front of the motor to work on the belt.

The AC compressor is right there on top, the alternator is right there too. I know if its one thing i have replaced a few times on vehicles, and cussed and sweared at it, was an alternator on a transverse mounted engine, this puppy has it right there in your face!

I haven't read the how-to on spark plug replacement on the KJ but i bet its easier than it was on the Montana. The front three were easy enough, the back three required partial dissasembly of the intake to get behind the motor, or a lift to go up against the firewall from underneath.

Keep up the good work guys! Love the How-To section on here!
kb0nly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Update

Yes, this is the correct belt routing diagram for a 2007 3.7L w/ AC. I spoke with a dealer who confirmed it for me (he had to "locate" the diagram...took awhile which still surprises me). If - as I had done the first time - you accidentally route the belt from the AC across to the Alternator then down to the Water Pump then up to the Power Steering Pump, then as the diagram shows over the other pulley's, everything still rotates in the correct direction but the belt tension is not as much which causes the tensioner to rattle a little at idle. Who could have guessed this important install detail would be such a time waster to locate? The DIY'er can do the install in less than a few minutes, but I can imagine less savvy folks forking over a small fortune - let alone the time wasted - for a tow to a dealer then a re-install service call at $100/hr shop rates. One addition I'd add to the original post is you have to rotate the tensioner clockwise ALL THE WAY to the stop, fit the belt to the tensioner pulley, then release...easily done with a breaker bar, altho doable with a 3/8 socket wrench (takes a little effort tho).

Last edited by Paul M; 06-09-2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 06-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

So, if I understand you right, the tensioner pulley should be under tension (on a spring-loaded arm or something similiar), so that it pulls back counter-clockwise automatically?

Mine stopped doing that all the sudden tonight, resulting in an immediate loss of power steering, A/C, and alternator. :bangsheadonwall

Any ideas on how to replace it?
jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Originally Posted by jarvis View Post
So, if I understand you right, the tensioner pulley should be under tension (on a spring-loaded arm or something similiar), so that it pulls back counter-clockwise automatically?

Mine stopped doing that all the sudden tonight, resulting in an immediate loss of power steering, A/C, and alternator. :bangsheadonwall

Any ideas on how to replace it?
Yes it is a spring-loaded assembly and you can't service it, it needs to be replaced. Looking at the FSM it shows one bolt holding the pulley assembly in place (Looks like both the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley next to it are part of the assembly):

So you need to remove the tensioner, remove the pulley(s) and place them on the new unit, then install the new unit and replace the belt. Part number should be 53030958AD (still comes up good on an online parts search), runs around $80.

Now to hope that my Jeep doesn't find out I typed this up and starts feeling left out

EDIT: Looking at the parts breakdown it seems that the assembly should come with both pulleys installed. Never hurts to keep the others around as spares in case one decides to go south

Kevin
'03 Flame Red Liberty
"A stick of dynamite to blow out the side of the tomb, scoop the bones aside, you grab the Amulet and you run"
I. Jones
American Journal of Archaeology

Last edited by Corwyyn; 06-10-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Corwyyn is offline   Reply With Quote