Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > CRD KJ's Section

Register to remove these ads.

CRD KJ's Section

Map sensor cleaning

This is a discussion on Map sensor cleaning within the CRD KJ's Section forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! I just read the thread and I think there is some confusion here. ...

CRD KJ's Section

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 04:13 AM   #11 (permalink)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
I just read the thread and I think there is some confusion here.
I hope this helps:

Beetlemn73, I could be wrong but I am pretty sure the ORM is the Off Road Modification which is a trick circuit to trick the ECU into thinking the MAF sensor has been connected from start-up as some like to disconnect it for trail work. It can be left in place all the time without MIL showing against a disconnected MAF otherwise you have to start the motor and then disconnect the MAF (affects economy).

JourneyJim, with respect, (I don't know if it is just a typo) but there have been questions asked in the thread.
I would be very wary of using heavy duty hydrocarbons like carby cleaner to clean a MAF....if that is what you refer to. It would be quite OK for the Boost Sensor.
The MAF consists of a very delicate platinum resistor that cools as a mass of air flows past it when it has been heated to a known temperature. The cooling of the electrode is used by the ECU to adjust fuel trim. The ECU coordinates fuel trim/throttle position/air volume/intake air temp etc to set fuel trim for a given engine load.

So,
MAF is just after the air intake (filter box).
Boost Sensor is a polymer cage under the wiring loom/fuel rail on the LHS of the motor held in by 2 cap screws.
The ORM is the trick circuit developed in the early days of the KJ to fool the ECU and is connected between the MAF and the ECU (breaking into the loom).
Cheers
Auberon
Auberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

Location: mitchell south dakota from may through oct every year

Yes, I used carb cleaner on it, both times. I thought it seemed harmless to the sensor, after all it cleaned the soot off of it.
I haven't pulled it since last winter when I cleaned it. The ehm has been on for a while and the orm was on, just recently plugged it back in.
journeyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Beetlemn73 View Post
What is the ORM? I also see EGR mentioned here. My CRD ran out of fuel and ever since, the Check Engine lite is on. I bleed the air out of the fuel filter. The engine did cough a few times as it ran out. I have 55K on it. Sounds like I have something that needs to be cleaned. I have not gone to see what the code is.
Thanks for any pointers
The ORM (Offroad mod) is simply unplugging your MAF. I used back electrical tape to cover both terminals is case of water.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quick question? The mileage on my 05 CRD has dropped to about 15.3. Any suggestions? Jeep dealer tells me they can find no error codes for the problem.

Thanks!
StarDreamers.us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:20 AM   #15 (permalink)

Location: mitchell south dakota from may through oct every year

Originally Posted by StarDreamers.us View Post
Quick question? The mileage on my 05 CRD has dropped to about 15.3. Any suggestions? Jeep dealer tells me they can find no error codes for the problem.

Thanks!
First check your tire pressure, then the air filter. If all is good then your sensor may be dirty. After cleaning mine didn't notice any increase in mileage, but I've never gotten good mileage.
journeyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #16 (permalink)

Cleaned the MAP sensor for the first time today - I've had the Jeep for 40K miles (5 years). Dear god it was filthy - soot and oil. Thankfully I got a large can of carb cleaner It seemed I was going to be spraying forever. It's drying off now. I must say, not too easy to get to is it? Took me a fair while to move the wiring harness out of the way, and I think one of the little spring clips that hold it to its mount has dropped off. I managed to secure both the screw and washer safely though

I have a provent in the shed - my wife bought it for my last birthday. I think I may have to get on and fit it!

2005 Light Khaki CRD, TJM alloy bumper anodised black; Fumoto drain valve;extended breathers;Samco hoses;Skid Row front, engine and transmission plates;ASFIR alloy fuel tank plate, Hoffman TuV approved axle extenders(60mm);Odyssey PC1500 battery;GDE FTEcotune;darkened rear windows;Amsoil air filter; Smittybilt PALS/Molle seat covers; other stuff in the shed that I'll get around to.
Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #17 (permalink)

Can you guys clarify... are we referring to a MAP or MAF here (or are they the same thing)?

I have error code P0069 thrown-up on my '07 2.8 CRD, 51k miles (diagnosed by Autel MaxiTrip TP100), that clears after several driving cycles, but seems to recur at low speed start/stop type driving.

Do I need to clean/replace the MAP/MAF... if cleaning's the solution, what is best to use by way of a cleaning agent (have seen earlier comments ref. carb cleaner)? What other intake/air sensors would you recommend are cleaned regularly?

Thanks in advance.

Chris_W

Last edited by JeepyJez; 01-28-2012 at 11:35 AM.
JeepyJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #18 (permalink)

I stand corrected re offroad modification.
To clarify the questions asked:
I have only referred to the MAF and the Boost Sensor. They need regular cleaning with the right cleaners. Boost is way more robust than the MAF. The MAF has a fine platinum wire in it and a resistor. Harsh solvents WILL break down the outer coating on the resistor and it will fail over a shorter period. Oil mist can coat the platinum resistor and needs removal on a regular basis.

MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor. It is the one in the duct from the air filter box to the turbo.

The term MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure).....generally applies to petrol engines. There is no MAP that I am aware of in the diesel system (2006 model) although atmospheric pressure is monitored by the ECU. It is not a listed as a primary component in the system in the 06 model.

The Boost Sensor is the squirrel-cage arrangement under the wiring loom that snakes over the CRD engine. It gets really dirty and needs cleaning at rergular intervals. Some refer to the what is the Boost Sensor as a MAP, I think.

If it is filthy and you do clean it, the ECU will relearn that you have cleaned it but it is a good idea when you clean a sensor, so that your vehicle can recognise the change (and you can feel it more quickly) that you disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour. The changes will be noted by the computer much more quickly. Applies with any mod you do otherwise it can take a large number of warm-up cycles to be recognised.
Auberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:00 AM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks for the clarification Auberon... VERY helpful.

I'll get onto inspecting/cleaning the MAF and Boost Sensor right away.
JeepyJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:40 AM   #20 (permalink)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Go to the CRD section at www.lostjeeps.com and read "Sams Noob Guide to CRDs"....gives you a good description of all these components and nice pictures of where they are and how they are supposed to look.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote