HOW TO: Cabin Air Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, im going to do a very small write up on this b/c im very tired, ill add to it tomorrow.

The little rivets holding the black plastic are not rivets, u can reuse them, all u do is pull the center out of them and they pull right out. The center can be put back in to reuse.

Pic:
You must be registered for see images attach

I took both the windshield wipers off, but i do not believe u would need to, i think just the center one would be ok. I took them off by backing the nut off some then putting channel locks on the nut and under the wipers, like this.

Pic: Pic:

After the Plastic is off the screen is located to ur left, almost behind the water reservoir. I took off the 4 bolts holding in the screen which is not necessary, the filter can be put on while the screen is bolted in place. I had some filter material laying around that i had bought at wal-mart. I cut it to fit, and just pushed the edges down around the screen.
Pics: Pics:

Im not sure how this will do. I cant tell thats it cuts down on the air flow any but i am willing to sacrifice some of that for clean air. Depending on how much outside air u use, u may need to clean it ever so often. I think ill do it everytime i clean my K&N air filter. Tell me what u all think!!!

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
good write up..i'll import this over to the HOW TO section...tomorrow
question..where did u pull out that piece where u put the filter in

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When u take the plastic off, its on ur left, u can see it in some of the pics. The picture before i show the filter on the screen, u can see it. Its almost behind the water reservoir for the coolant. Theres 4 bolts holding it in. ill add that to it.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this it?
You must be registered for see images

Looks like there was a small leaf on the screen. Also looks like you go thru the large oval opening to access it and take it out. Might be something to look into, maybe with a slightly more porous filter.

EDIT: got the image link updated...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, thats the screen. U could cover all the holes instead of the screen with a better filter so that it wouldnt cut down on air flow as much. Ohh and i can tell that it cuts down on air flow from outside to inside. I didnt check to see if the same air flow comes out from inside to outside before i put the filter on, so it might not cut any air out.

swtwomyn

Reaction score
Great idea! Thanks for the info! Headed to get filter media now.

Happy 4th of July all!

Tracy

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
swtwomyn said:
Great idea! Thanks for the info! Headed to get filter media now.

Happy 4th of July all!

Tracy

It seems to do a purty good job. I just hate to think of all the dust collected in the evap due to the fact its wet. After awhile all that dust will build up and cut down on the air flow and could cause mold to grow and stink to high heavens. I checked it out about 3 months ago and it had a light coat of green pollen on it. I usually do not use the outside air that much. If you use it alot then I would be sure and check it ever so often.