Recall work not done on '02 Certified I just bought--pissed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When calling Jeep about a completely unrelated subject I was told after they ran my VIN that the following recall had not been done:

http://www.automotive.com/2002/49/jeep/liberty/recalls/26223.html

I just bought my "Certified" '02 Limited at a "five-star" Chrysler dealer like 6 weeks ago--and they didn't apparently do the work needed for this recall! This recall sounds like serious sh**--the soonest parts can be received and the work done is like Monday of next week--now I'm afraid to even drive the thing.

I can't believe they wouldn't check the vehicle for recalls before selling it as a pre-owned Certified vehicle! Not a good start at all. I'm starting to conclude this dealership I bought my Jeep from ***** ASS.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry to hear about that, but I hope they get you fixed up quick...I too agree that they should have taken care of that.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
heh, my dealership was a 5 star rated..suffice to say..it aint anymore...(i think i may have helped a lil LoL)

any other dealers in ur area?.

I hate my dealer too..they suck ass probably a lot more than urs...LoL

2003KJ

Reaction score
-=JoN=- said:
heh, my dealership was a 5 star rated..suffice to say..it aint anymore...(i think i may have helped a lil LoL)

any other dealers in ur area?.

I hate my dealer too..they suck ass probably a lot more than urs...LoL

hmmmm....do i see the beginnings of a new thread upon us? "whose dealer ***** ass more?????"

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yoda13 said:
sorry to hear about that, but I hope they get you fixed up quick...I too agree that they should have taken care of that.

I'm *done* with the dealer I bought my car from, that is: Jack Powell Chrysler Dodge in Escondido. I had some other more "minor" issues with them I was already simmering a little about, but this thing IMO is a major f***ing inexcusable screwup.

There are other dealer choices here, and I'm taking the car to another one of them just as convenient to me distance-wise for the recall. That dealership is going to do the work as soon as possible, but major parts are needed, and these parts have to be ordered from elsewhere, so Monday is the soonest this can get done.

I don't want to be driving the car with this problem though so we're going to have to try to survive with one car between my wife and I for 4 days which is going to be a hassle you can't even begin to believe. We'll probably spend $100 (no exaggeration) in gas this weekend, not to mention hours and hours in traffic needlessly, just accomplishing it with all the redundant driving we're going to have to do. I'm going to be looking to put a bullet in my head by the time its over!

I really couldn't have possibly picked a worse weekend to have found this out. The fact that there's no compensation I can demand from the dealer nor no way (really) to hurt their reputation just eats me up inside right now.

I called the Jeep corporate 800# customer service and the flatliner I spoke with on the phone yawned her way all the way through my complaint, promising nothing. Par for the course.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-=JoN=- said:

If you have suggestions on how I can cause this dealer pain I want to hear them. (Argh)

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
tomjonesrocks said:
-=JoN=- said:

If you have suggestions on how I can cause this dealer pain I want to hear them. (Argh)

well, like you i called up chrysler, and complained to them...(in more than once occassion) outlining to them of the horrid service they (bayside chrysler jeep) have provided. the person's that i have talked to, was a bit more enthusiastic (tho not by a whole lot more) than from the person you have talked to.

chrysler even sent me some service coupons (wipers, oil changes, and a 50 dollars off 200 dollar purchase) never used them, cuz that mean im going to have to go to a dealer to use them. I had to go back to them to get some recall work done (that same one u need to get done). I didnt see the 5 star rating posted up anymore. LoL tho, everytime im there, someone is always yelling at a service counselor.....even talked to this one lady who was in tears......told her to call up chrysler and complain to them...she said her ex-husband owns a dealership in mass, and she's gonna tell him to call up chrysler (apperantly he owns a jeep dealership too)

sadly...the other dealership closer to me ***** ass too, and i've heard worse stories...

my mom can be really aggravating too when she's really annoyed.....and she usually gets somwhere when she's in that mode...she even gave up on them.....

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my mom can be really aggravating too when she's really annoyed.....and she usually gets somwhere when she's in that mode...she even gave up on them.....[/quote]

I have a mom like that, Jon...but she can get the results.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
she might...when she gets worked up...I wouldn't want to be on the recieving end

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That recall sounds very serious, but all it amounts to is that the heat from the rotors can damage the dust/water covers on the lower ball joints. If this happens water can enter the ball joint and cause corrosion. The solution from DC was to attach a piece of bent aluminium between the ball joint and the rotors to deflect the heat.
Yes you should get it done, but if you are worried about driving the car you can check yourself, by just looking under the front of the car.

I can't at the moment, but maybe someone can supply a photo to show the location of the ball joints.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-=JoN=- said:
yoda13 said:
I have a mom like that, Jon...but she can get the results.

heh, maybe she can call the dealership and ask them whatever happened to my door moldings...LoL

Bah! You beat me to this response! My thought exactly! lol3.gif

You know, I have this sister that can be a mega-bitch when things like this happen, and she gets results too. It's led to some embarrasing moments in department stores with her while she screams people down, but I have to admit it's probably more satisfying than mumbling away defeated, which is my usual technique.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
heh..

i have too short of a temper to get my way in those situations..i usually wait, and go above their head to complain to the higher ups..like central offices for best buy or what not....

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mangate said:
That recall sounds very serious, but all it amounts to is that the heat from the rotors can damage the dust/water covers on the lower ball joints. If this happens water can enter the ball joint and cause corrosion. The solution from DC was to attach a piece of bent aluminium between the ball joint and the rotors to deflect the heat.
Yes you should get it done, but if you are worried about driving the car you can check yourself, by just looking under the front of the car.

I can't at the moment, but maybe someone can supply a photo to show the location of the ball joints.

I wonder if the dealer will replace the ball joint if it is already corroded, or just stick the shield on regardless of the condition of the joints to prevent further corroding.

It would be good to know how to check this so I can be sure the dealer actually replaced what needed to be replaced, if there is corrosion.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
tomjonesrocks said:
I wonder if the dealer will replace the ball joint if it is already corroded, or just stick the shield on regardless of the condition of the joints to prevent further corroding.

It would be good to know how to check this so I can be sure the dealer actually replaced what needed to be replaced, if there is corrosion.

the notice i got stated that the shield will only be put on if the ball joints are still usable. if not, then they would replace it, and put the shield along with it

i'll have to search out hte other places....(have u tried searching here) to see how to check up on it. it's been a while since I last read it so i cant really remember

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mangate said:
T attach a piece of bent aluminium between the ball joint and the rotors to deflect the heat .

After reading this I went and looked at my 05, the bent piece of aluminum although it looks like sheet metal is really tiny, guess it does the trick, but I was expecting to see something larger that a piece approx. 2" high and 4' long, sorry didn't have a digital camera.

Bob

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you go here and enter the last digits of your VIN you can check if the recalls have been done on your jeep.

http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/...recall&country=us&emailUrl=goToEmailForm('R')

I believe they replace the ball joints regardless for the 02 model, later models just get checked and replaced only if necessary.

If you look underneath from the front you will see the ball joint at the lower edge of the wheel rims. The problem is the rubber cover that keeps out dust and water. If it's been damaged by heat, it will be cracked or the rubber will have hardened and become brittle. It will be obvious if they have changed it, from the shiny new nut.

rc777

Reaction score
Re: Recall work not done on '02 Certified I just bought--pis

That is amazing that they'd hand you a vehicle with a major safety recall
not done.

Glad to see you're taking care of this right away. On the bright side, even if it was complied with when it first came out, you could run into problems with the recalled fix as I did.

January 04 both lower ball joints replaced as a safety recall
Feb 05 rt side lower replaced after inspection
Aug 05 catastophic failure of left lower balljoint

luckily this occurred at very low speed, it could have been a very nasty accident otherwise

dealer / Chrysler no charge and both rt and left ball joints replaced with newer part # than on the original recall?
( if you're picking up the tab yourself Moog may have a superior part? )
This occurred on a vehicle that hasnt been abused or offroad, so if you complied with the recall early ( 2002, 2003 vehicles ) be alert to another problem. Occasionaly turn off the radio, and listen. ( and inspect often )

Can anyone confirm the part has improved since the original recall?

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Recall work not done on '02 Certified I just bought--pis

rc777 said:
That is amazing that they'd hand you a vehicle with a major safety recall not done.

Just an update.

Dealer wouldn't return my calls (left 2 voicemails with the preowned dealership manager and one with my salesperson). Then I called DaimlerChrysler, then sent 2 emails out to addresses Bennett sent me. Then I reported the dealership to the BBB, FTC, and CA Dept of Consumer Affairs.

Received *several* calls now from the dealership. Been offered a free 60k service as a "olive branch" for the colossal blunder. They say they've changed a bunch of policies and whatnot. The dealership probably hasn't received half the calls they are going to as a result of my ********. Squeaky wheel...

In all seriousness, the dealership's screwup is inexcusable. I don't know if they can really "make it right" at this point, but at least the *service department* is trying now. A free 60k service isn't chopped liver I guess. Still haven't heard dick from the dealership manager.