Alittle odd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My jeep usually sits in a parking lot all week while Im working hard at school.. :-$ I went to come home today only to find that the battery was dead.. As soon as I unlocked the doors I knew something was wrong by the sound they made. I didnt leave any lights on or anything.. I had to get the compus police to boost me.. :-s

I noticed the belt was sqeeling and i could hear the alternator whinning(it was under load).. I drove for two hours coming home and tested it when I got home(weve got a snap-on battery tester). It tested to be good, I dont know what happened. Ive noticed it seems alittle low when I would start it the past couple of times I came home and ever said something about it to my dad..

Its the optima red top. Its got a 3 year warranty and ive only had it for 1 year. The only thing is, Ive got a 12in MTX sub on it. If it did happen to go bad on me, I would need to take the battery out and not let them see the huge wire hooked up to it.

Anyway, to the point of this thread. What fuse do I need to pull? I think its the IOD fuse. I read about it in the manual and read it on here one time. I guess ill pull it next time and see if that does anything..Not to sure what could be pulling a load?

NomadKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you read your owners manual, you're suppose to disconnect the battery
if you are not going to use Jeep. The Jeep electronics is drawing a load with the key in off position. I hope this helps.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A battery shouldn't go dead after a week (unless the lights were left on!).

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
A battery shouldn't go dead after a week (unless the lights were left on!).

Thats what Im thinking..

Ive got XM and the PAC steering wheel thing wired into the same power as the stereo.. Im starting to think that I wired it on the + feed and not the ACC feed. I really do not feel like tearing into the dash though.. I may just unhook all that till I have time to fix it.. :-k

Ive heard of people leaving their jeep and going on vacation only to find its dead when they get home? (Aeh)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with grogiefrog. You must have a current drain somewhere.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad has seen my inside lights on a couple of times when he goes to work in the mornings. Im wondering if its that coming back. Ive heard of a few other people talking about this and ive seen it happen while Im sitting in the jeep. I told the dealer about it but its not worth talking about.. :-s

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I unhooked the XM adaptor yesterday.. I had it wired to the battery on the stereo. The PAC steering wheel adaptor was wired into the ACC.. Im hoping thats what it was. If not, ill be getting the police to jump me again..

Has anyone ever seen their inside lights on when no one was around? :-s

n3qik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your XM reciver, does it have a battery? If so check that. Co-worker has one and the battery is under a recall. They sent him a new battery and the old one was leaking.

AndySRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that optima is going to suck from now on I have let 2 of them completely drain in my bronco and they never charge back to normal. infact both of them would only stay at about 11.9- 12 volts after the car was off after letting them drain. Now i just run a normal diehard gold and haven't had a problem since. optimas are now way over priced and seem like a complete waste IMO.

anyways a way to see if it is really the truck draining the battery is to disconnect the negitive cable. then use one of those test light and connect it to the diconnected cable and (-) battery terminal. if it lights up the truck is draining the battery. also use the test light on the body to see if your ground are ok.

once it checks out. connect the test light to the disconnected negitive cable and (-) battery terminal again. now start pulling fuses. if the light goes off from pulling a fuse, thats what is causing the drain.

2003KJ

Reaction score
You've definately got a drain somewhere.

i've let my KJ sit in the garage for two weeks straight before while i was on vacation and it fired right up when I finally got back in it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very good idea AndySRT. Ill try that..

Ive let the optima run dead a couple times and Ive never had any problems out of it.. O:) It charges right back up.. We only paid $100 for it.. Seems to crank alot better than the stock battery did. doesnt take near as long..

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Car batteries are made to work best with the alternater charging it. If there is a constant power drain when the vehicle is shut off then eventually the battery will not take a FULL charge and over time will fail. Been there - done that - and had it explained to me as a new battery was being installed as I was broke down. Anyway, that's car batteries. For a reference - boat and RV batteries are different (thicker plates) so they CAN accept constant power drains and bounce back faster. But they can't be used in cars. So my suggestion would be to get the biggest battery you can (900-1,000cca)

Anyway, Hope you figured out the power drain and got a new battery.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive not gotten a new battery b/c this one is fine. I have a Snap-On battery tester and it tested good.

I believe its the interior lights coming on and draining the battery. Im thinking about pulling the fuse for the interior lights and seeing how it does.. Its going to suck without interior lights though.. :-s

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Ive not gotten a new battery b/c this one is fine. I have a Snap-On battery tester and it tested good.

I believe its the interior lights coming on and draining the battery. Im thinking about pulling the fuse for the interior lights and seeing how it does.. Its going to suck without interior lights though.. :-s

Buy a couple of these?

You must be registered for see images
\:D/

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe there is a TSB saying that some of the computers on the Libs were drawing the starting batteries dead. You may have one of the GOOD ones.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
DEAD BATTERY in the morning...

jeepjeepster said:
I went to come home today only to find that the battery was dead..

I noticed the belt was sqeeling and i could hear the alternator whinning (it was under load).. I

Same thing.
This morning I go downstairs, the doors unlock fine, ON position is fine, all lights are on. As soon as tried to start it, the alternator was clicking like crazy. I never had this before. All the dead batteries I experiences was either motionless dead, nothing would come on, or just click silently once. This was clicking like there is no tomorrow. I tried, tried again, and the noise in the alternator was not going anywhere.

I called the mechanic, came with a booster, $20 and 5 seconds later It started up. I didn't have time to do anything else, so I let it run for about 15 minutes idle, and I drove to work, about 15 miles. It is sitting outside right now. I am hoping that battery charged enough to take me back home.

33,000 miles, exactly 4 yrs and 4 months later I face this problem. Nothing was left on. After all, I know that all lights shut off after about a minute or so, it can't be that.

Could it be my new radio? I never had a problem with it, even after it sat for 2 days without starting and never ran battery dead. It's been 3 months since i got the radio and hooked it up.

The battery has always been wet, and corroded. My mech wants $95 for a new generic battery.

Want to hear your opinions...
Thanks.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may just have a bad battery hyedipin. If it starts when you leave work, and tomorrow morning, then youve got something wrong like me.

I just take the fuse out for the BCM.. ](*,)

Ohh, that clicking is the starter.. Not the Alternator. O:)

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
You may just have a bad battery hyedipin. If it starts when you leave work, and tomorrow morning, then youve got something wrong like me.

I just take the fuse out for the BCM.. ](*,)

Ohh, that clicking is the starter.. Not the Alternator. O:)

Yup...bad battery. 4 years is about average for a car battery, and based on what i've been seeing, a damn good life span for the OEM KJ batteries.

And like Blake said, the rapid clicking is the starter, not the alternator. The starter is not getting the juice it needs to spin the motor over, hence the clicking.

Latest posts

Members online