02 Jeep Liberty LOST Trail Tested Edition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Current Info

2002 Jeep Liberty - LOST Trail Tested Edition
Dark Garnet Red Pearl
3.7L
45RFE 4spd AT
Command-Trac 4WD

Current Modifications
Suspension
Rusty's Offroad 2.5" Coil Suspension
.5" Front Clevis Lift
JBA Front Upper Control Arms
Teraflex Front Extended Bumpstops
Energy Suspension Rear Extended Bumpstops
JKS Front Swaybar Quicker Disconnects

Wheels/Tires
Black Cragar Soft8 Steel Wheels 16/8/5bs
Cooper Discoverer ST Tires 245/75/16

Protection
Mopar Skid Plates (engine, t-case, fuel tank)
Skid Row Transmission Skid Plate
Mopar Rock Rails

Recovery
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Tow Strap Clevis For 2.5" Receiver

Lighting
Mopar Light Bar

Electronics
Jeep EVIC
USA Spec Aux Interface
Custom Aux Jack
Midland 75-822 Handheld/Auto CB
Midland Glass Mount CB Antenna
Garmin Rino 130 Topo GPS / 2 Way Radio
Garmin Nuvi 200w GPS

Cargo
Mopar Spare Tire Bike Carrier
Mopar Ski Rack
Mopar Renegade Roof Basket
Mopar Cargo Basket Web Net
Mopar Cargo Area Liner
Mopar Cargo Organizer Tray

Interior
Mopar Slush Mats
Kiddie 2lb Automotive Fire Extinguisher
Maglite 2D LED Flashlight
Maglite 2D Mount

Most recent images on pg. 2!!

History
Well, I've had the Jeep for a few years now and it's already had quite a journey. It's about to roll over 100,000 mi at the time of posting this, and I'm just now making a journal! Oh well, better late then never.

I got my Dark Garnet Red 02 Liberty Sport in 2006. My parents bought it for me at the time as a very generous graduation gift for my college graduation. It was a used 02 Sport and had around 56k on the odometer. It had no skid plates or rock rails or hitch receiver or tow hooks. Pretty much bone stock, but it did include cruise control which I think is an option. I dont actually have any pics of it from this early time, but you can imagine. It also had those chrome grill inserts from the previous owner that I took off right away. Like these:
You must be registered for see images

The stock tires were crap and worn uneven at the dealer so I made them replace them before we took ownership. They gave me Dayton Timberline ATs which I was pleased with since they werent just crappy street tires. They turned out to be very nice tires and I still have them in the basement.

I decided to take it offroading for the first time I think in Feb. 07. I scrambled to get all the skid plates and rock rails and everything. I just got all Mopar stuff for price and convenience. By this time I had also gotten the Mopar cross rails and Mopar ski rack. I love to ski, so this was a necessity. Wheeling was a blast. We went to Daniel Boone National Forest in KY and I got to meet some LOST people for the first time. This was also the first time that I got any pics of the Jeep.

Here it is waiting the parking lot to hit the trail
You must be registered for see images attach

And the crazy stock wheeling. Got to test out those skids a lot!

I bought a used Rusty's coil lift from a member that summer and tommudd helped me install it.

Went wheeling again that July in DBNF, and even camped out next to the trail. (possibly illegal)

Then, I got some new wheels and tires! I bought new black Cragar Soft 8s and some used Goodyear MTRs.
Heres EVERYTHING stuffed in the Jeep. Thats actually 6 tires and 5 wheels

Finished product

Went wheeling in DBNF a couple more times. Always a bunch of fun! At some point I got some swaybar disconnects and a hitch receiver and Midland CB and all weather floor mats.
Then I went to Wellsville in November 07 and....
OOPS

Oh well, got it fixed for less then I thought possible and the much appreciated help of Sean150 and tommudd.

Then, I got the awesome Renegade lightbar for X-Mas 07! I always loved that thing.

Then in spring of 08 I totally debadged the whole Jeep and claybared and waxed it. Then I rebadged with the 05 and newer badges. My badges from 02 were looking all faded and peeling and horrible. I also added the 'official' LOST Trail Tested Edition badge and no longer call it a Sport! No pics from this stage.

I got some seat covers with rear storage over the summer in 08, but took them off in the fall cause I got tired of them

Then, I got the Renegade style roof basket.

Right now, I have a Skid Row transmission skid plate, rear bumpstops, and some rear isolator pads to lift up the back that need to be installed, but might wait until after winter. Already got the front bumpstops installed when I put in Jeepin by Al's A-arms.

My goal for this vehicle is to have it look like a real special edition Jeep. I want it to appear that this really could have been an OEM package. Its the LOST Trail Tested Edition. I've tried to keep a really factory clean look with the mods that I've done and I'm pretty happy with it right now.

Well, thats all for now, I guess I'll post more as it unfolds!

Last edited:

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple things I forgot to mention in the first post. I also bought a used EVIC on Ebay and installed it, then fixed the wiring after it drained my battery once a week! :mad:

I also just recently installed a fire extinguisher in the back and you can also see my nice 'Jeep' gear bag on the floor there.

Last edited:

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
11/23/08

I put new tires on the Jeep. Went with Cooper Discoverer ST in 245/75 r16. This change was to replace the old, worn, MT/Rs and to get some better wet and winter traction

Last edited:

sydbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wellsville is a grave yard. I always use lots of caution when I wheel there. Lots of fun though. The guys out there are crazy but usually willing to help out

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New(er) Photos

Just thought I would update this page with some new photos!

Carlos Avery WMA in Minnesota

Ice fishing on White Bear Lake

Some photos from camping on the St. Croix River

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That third pic looks like Stillwater, MN. Were you there on a weekend. That little town is a madhouse during tourist season. We were up there riding this summer and it took us more than 30 min to go two miles though downtown.

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That third pic looks like Stillwater, MN. Were you there on a weekend. That little town is a madhouse during tourist season. We were up there riding this summer and it took us more than 30 min to go two miles though downtown.

ding ding ding! You are correct!
Yes, actually it was Memorial Day Weekend :pp: We were driving through on our way to Wild River State Park where we did our camping and canoeing for the weekend. It was actually ok driving through because we stopped for lunch, so it didn't seem like we were just sitting in traffic the whole time! I actually like Stillwater even though it's a tourist trap; it's fun to walk around and look in the stores. DO NOT do the brewery caves tour though. That is a scam.