Feed the differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
I was doing alot of research about that rumbling/grumbling noise I have been hearing since I bought my libby with 27k mi. Always occured at low speed turns and starts. Almost 70k later (and never changing the diff fluid) I finally got sick of hearing it and found this forum and all its information and was ready to test the knowledge and experience of all that shared on this forum

So this past week-end I drained the rear diff, bought some 75-140 synthetic fluid AND the friction modifier. I sparked her up, drove out of the garage and instantly the noise was gone. Magic? I think not, listening to others and just doing what the manual actually says to do....who'd of thunk it:D

Attachments

• diff.jpg
    diff.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 276
  • diff 1.jpg
    diff 1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 237
  • diff 2.jpg
    diff 2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 200

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Thanks....The wife's mini van gets the back seat to the libby when nature calls, that may be why the garage looks big. If I turn the camera around it is not as pretty as of picture:)

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm guessing you have the track lock rear-end? How's it doing?

Also besides your info you can tell you're somewhere that gets hurricanes because of all the beams on your garage door. Up here we only have a couple on the whole door. Interesting to me...

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
So I'm guessing you have the track lock rear-end? How's it doing?

Also besides your info you can tell you're somewhere that gets hurricanes because of all the beams on your garage door. Up here we only have a couple on the whole door. Interesting to me...

Yes...and it is very happy now. Still no hunger noises coming from the rear.

The wind codes from north of tampa...down to Miami require the large horizontal cross members on the garage doors. They are a very weak part of the home, if they go...so will your roof:eek:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I am glad to hear that changing the diff oil makes it quieten down.
I am also approaching 12k miles on diff and have ready the friction modifier for changing mine soon too. Going to do the front transfer case too.
Really nice garage,like the basket ball hoop out front too.
A family that plays together stays together.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was doing alot of research about that rumbling/grumbling noise I have been hearing since I bought my libby with 27k mi. Always occured at low speed turns and starts. Almost 70k later (and never changing the diff fluid) I finally got sick of hearing it and found this forum and all its information and was ready to test the knowledge and experience of all that shared on this forum

So this past week-end I drained the rear diff, bought some 75-140 synthetic fluid AND the friction modifier. I sparked her up, drove out of the garage and instantly the noise was gone. Magic? I think not, listening to others and just doing what the manual actually says to do....who'd of thunk it:D

Interesting... the general rule of thumb is, once you hear the noise, the damage is done and it's too late.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
I need to change mine....aint never been changed and its got 80.***

jimymc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting... the general rule of thumb is, once you hear the noise, the damage is done and it's too late.

I bought my Renny with 112K miles on it and I don't think the diff lube was ever changed. The limited slip was acting up so I changed the lube with the friction modifier. It's working fine now. (Cheers) Had the same experience with my Honda CRV at about 90K. When backing up and turning sharp the rear tires would actually chirp. Having the lube changed fixed it and it is still running strong at 140K miles.

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you used royal purple 75-140 then the friction modifier was already added.

Latest posts

Members online