Looking at an '07 Liberty...tips? What to avoid, what's the must have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wakko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EDIT 3/14: She's a Jeeper!

We went down to the dealership in Miami today and came home one Saturn lighter and one Jeep heavier! It was a little overpriced, but I felt it was worth it. 8190 miles, a locally leased car. Has two dings on the rear driver's door (calling the Ding King!) and a weak original battery (my stupid ass didn't realize it) but other than that, it's CHERRY. Still has the new car smell, amazingly, and absolutely flawless. No other dings, scrapes, scratches, or stains. It's nothing fancy, just a 2WD Sport with cloth interior, but she absolute loves it. Already named it "Jeep Frog". I'd love to tell you how it drives, but she hasn't let me drive it yet!!! I'd like to tint the front windows, put in a nicer CD player, and replace the battery before it completely dumps out, but other than that it's good to go. Here's a few pics of the old car and new, driving it home, and a couple poses. The dealer couldn't tell me if it had the recall done for the front end, how can I check that?

You must be registered for see images attach

SWMBO is in the market for a new car and after looking at the Caliber and Compass likes the Liberty. For some reason she doesn't like the look of the KK, and her financing company said the car must be an '07 or newer, so she's stuck getting an '07. She also really likes the green, with the secondary colors being either the black or slate if we can't find green. She's going from an Explorer to a Saturn 4 door to the Liberty, drives really slow and unaggressively. Her commute is about 8 miles to work each day, but will increase when school starts up again. We like to take weekend trips around Florida and will use the Liberty.

Anyway, what do we need to look for while looking at Libertys? We've seen some really nice Limiteds, but didn't think that 4x4 was a good idea (increased maintenance and fuel costs). We've found a really nice one for 10k, but it's a 5 speed and I don't think she'll like that. Here's another we've found, though I think it's a little overpriced:

'07 Liberty

Naturally I want her to get a dependable car that won't eat her out of house and home for fuel/maintenance, and isn't TOO expensive, since I'll be paying for it when school starts again. (banghead) Impart on me some wisdom, experienced ones! I'm a Chevy guy (09 Tahoe) know nothing of Jeeps.

Last edited:

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a nice 07 Sport with nearly NO miles :). Just to point out, I don't believe having a 4x4 will affect the gas mileage unless engaged (other than the fact it may be a little heavier). The maintenance really isn't too bad, pretty sure we just need to change the fluids at the proper intervals. If you'll be in rough weather, the 4x4 is very nice to have.

If by chance you'd like to tow something you may want to consider the automatic transmission as it can tow ~5,000 pounds (properly equipped) with the manual towing ~3,500 pounds.

I would say overall the KJ is considered very reliable. There are some recalls surrounding ball joints a long time ago but I would assume the 07' already has that corrected.

Just a few things to point out, I'll let the experts chime in now :).

matthewp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '07 Sport 4X4 myself, the only two issues I've had are the front springs giving up about 30,000 miles (Darn Honey, the only way to fix that is to get a suspension lift!:D) and notorious issues with the window regulators stripping out. Other than those issues, it has been absolutely bulletproof, and I haven't exactly been gentle with it.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree with the 4x4 doesn't effect gas mileage unless engaged, it does increase maintenance but that's very little.. diff fluid about every 30k just like the rear and keeping an eye on the driveshaft and CVs.
My sister has a 03 2wd with 68k and i have a 06 4x4 with 67k that i bought after it was abused a bit and gas mileage is near identical.
Also late 06-07 are the worst for a window regulator failures, it may still be covered under the factory warranty.
Just think of the places the 4wd can go that the 2wd can't go especially if you get a limited with full time!!

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's not under warranty, watch the front windows go up and down. if they seem to "rock" forward then backward in their travel, the regulators are going bad.

and 4wd vs 2wd, I don't think there's any difference in gas mileage on the KJ. drivetrain is spinning either way. I think the 2wd may get slightly better mileage due to reduced weight and less drivetrain drag, however, it's probably negligible

Wakko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good tips so far, guys. If the regulars are on their way out the door, and they're not under warranty, is it something I can fix at home or is it required for a mechanic to do? I've done regulars in GM cars but that's it.

L

lil black liberty

Good tips so far, guys. If the regulars are on their way out the door, and they're not under warranty, is it something I can fix at home or is it required for a mechanic to do? I've done regulars in GM cars but that's it.

Pretty easy to fix.. Drop three bolts and pull out the regulator... not that hard did it myself in 15 mins.. that's putting in a new one too! :D

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
If it's not under warranty, watch the front windows go up and down. if they seem to "rock" forward then backward in their travel, the regulators are going bad.

and 4wd vs 2wd, I don't think there's any difference in gas mileage on the KJ. drivetrain is spinning either way. I think the 2wd may get slightly better mileage due to reduced weight and less drivetrain drag, however, it's probably negligible

Im 2wd with hitch,brush guard, homemade light bar and in the city i get 15-16mpg and 20-22 hwy

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off you need to rethink your choice and look for an '05-'06 CRD and then you can get 30+ MPG like me! That and have TONS of torque to play with.
(kneel)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Go 4wd, love have Full time in FL summers. I get about 15 with only city driving, and highway about 21. I have hooks, skid, hitch, and not exactly easy on the loud petal...

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good MPG and low maint. cost do not go hand in hand with Jeep
This is simply the way it is
I am on my 3rd Wrangler and we just sold the KJ
none got better than the KJ which even when brand new had trouble getting 20 on the highway
you want good MPG and low maint. cost dont buy a Jeep
you want a Jeep then dont worry about the other stuff
I dont DD my Jeep and our DDer which sees 1500 miles a month ,or more
is a VW Tiguan ,which can get near 30 all highway at 65 but averages
24 as long as I dont drive it ,I like to "use the turbo"
the fuel cost to keep DDing the KJ would be killing us

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good MPG and low maint. cost do not go hand in hand with Jeep
This is simply the way it is
I am on my 3rd Wrangler and we just sold the KJ
none got better than the KJ which even when brand new had trouble getting 20 on the highway
you want good MPG and low maint. cost dont buy a Jeep
you want a Jeep then dont worry about the other stuff
I dont DD my Jeep and our DDer which sees 1500 miles a month ,or more
is a VW Tiguan ,which can get near 30 all highway at 65 but averages
24 as long as I dont drive it ,I like to "use the turbo"
the fuel cost to keep DDing the KJ would be killing us

That isnt every bodys experience. I bought my CRD used. So far its been perfectly reliable (55,000 miles) and Im getting 30+ MPG on the highway. Experiences vary across the spectrum. I have a 2001 TDI Jetta VW. 140,000 miles and all Ive ever done is a set of brakes and the timing belt. Perfect maintenance record AND 55-64 MPG on the highway depending on how I drive it.

L

lil black liberty

Common Rail Turbo Diesel.... Ya baby. 330 foot pounds of torque and 30++ MPG on the highway..... Power power power.
(kneel)

He clearly stated he needed an 07+ and I believe they stopped making the CRD's in 06 correct? Also one of these days I would like to DYNO a CRD vs my 2WD Liberty after the mod's I have done because I believe I have more Torque than a CRD does..

(Mods: Long Tall Texan Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, Weight Reduction 1000lbs, Amsoil Airfilter, Autolite Platinum Plugs, True Synthetic Oil, and soon a B&G Flash for PCM, JBA Headers, and Hi-Flow Cat, then we will see who has more torque a Diesel or Gasser) :D:D

Oh not to mention I believe oil changes for a Gasser are a lot cheaper than compared to CRD Liberties,and not to mention this as well some Liberties mine especially that's a DD gets almost 25mpg on the Highway.. in town 21mpg and yes that is dead accurate..Not bad for a gasser eh? That's what a Long Tall Texan Air Intake does for ya, but I don't think CRD's get those... :p

Last edited by a moderator:

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have new tires, and I can burn off both wheels on dry pavement for 20+ feet from a standing start. Can you?

Your gasser has these stats:

210 hp
235 lb-ft of torque

CRD Stats: (Chipped GDE Tune)

200 HP
360 lb-torque

Unless you've turbo charged or super charged it you'll NEVER gain 100 foot pounds of torque to get it close to a chipped CRD.

Sorry.