Tailgate glass?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of no where my tailgate is giving me some issues on my 06 KJ.
If I press the trunk release on the key fob the glass pops up no problem, but if I just go to open the tailgate, the latch will not release the glass.. Once you swing it open enough it will release the glass but it keeps the latch closed, until I click the release on the fob, then the glass will close..
Any ideas?? It can't be the actuator if its opening with the key fob everytime..

Thanks!

JeepKj03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a recall on a switch that sits on the door handle of the rear gate. You will have to take the back panel off and make sure the switch is bad. I believe the new switch is less than 10 bucks but don’t quote me in that. See if the recall was done, they might fix it for you for free!!!!!

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, it's a switch. Mine was started acting weird few months ago, so I disassembled it, cleaned, checked with multimeter and assembled back. now it works like new.
the problem is awater that coming right onto switch, and contacts starts to corrode.
I recommend appling silicone everywhere, when assembling the door handle.

Last edited:

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks, I will take the interior trim piece off and start looking around.
And its on the handle of the tailgate, not by the catch for the glass right?

Thanks!

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks, I will take the interior trim piece off and start looking around.
And its on the handle of the tailgate, not by the catch for the glass right?

Thanks!

yes, it's on the tailgate handle. remove interrior tailgate cover, then remove handle, you'll figure it out then.

JeepKj03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it is on the back of the handle of the tailgate. It’s a little switch with about a foot long electoral line before the connector. I can't remember on that thought, it has been years since I had done the fix.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I could find the switch, the dealer wants 120$ for the whole handle assembly. They claim they don't sell the switch separately.

Call around your local junk yards to see if they have any Liby's. Here near my location there is 2 pull-it-yourselfs..

www.car-part.com
Found a ECU for my Liby via that site for $50..

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to have a photo of the switch in question? My '06 is having the same issue. Glass opens with handle but the release remains closed. I have to use the fob to open the release and then everything will close correctly.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to have a photo of the switch in question? My '06 is having the same issue. Glass opens with handle but the release remains closed. I have to use the fob to open the release and then everything will close correctly.

Yep, the switch goes bad - happened on mine. I couldn't find the switch for the life of me - dealer doesn't sell the switch just the entire handle assembly. Ha! I'm too stubborn to do that so I searched and finally found the switch from a company in Germany - yea, THAT Germany. The part was only $7 but shipping from Europe was $21... But still, $28 is a whole lot cheaper than the $115 the dealer wanted.

Anyway, here is a pic of where the switch goes in the handle:
You must be registered for see images

Here is a pic of the original and replacement switches (original on the left):

Here's the company I got it from:

This is NOT a direct replacement switch - as far as I know it's not available from Chrysler or any other parts source. The one I purchased came with three wires but the original is a two-wire switch. I cut one of the wires off completely once I figured out how the switch activates the glass lock. You can see in the pic below that I soldered the wire harness's pink wire to the blue on the new switch, and the original's purple wire to the replacement's brown:

Hope this helps :waytogo:

Bob

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what's the P/N?
did you try local distributors?

Looks like you might be able to jerry rig a different snap action switch.

Last edited: