2002 Jeep Cherokee sport 2.4 petrol-Broken Cam-belt, how do I realign the Camshafts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graham C

Reaction score
I want to be able to confirm the timing marks on the cam pulleys, so I will be taking the cam cover off to look at the Camshafts.
From what I've seen on Youtube there is possibly 2 holes in the camshafts that must point up when the Crank pulley is aligned with the mark on the cover.
I may be wrong about that, but if thats the case, it seems a little slap-dash to estimate them being perfectly pointing up?
Is there a more reliable way to do this?
I have been warned that the Cam pulleys may not have woodruff keys to keep them aligned.
And the problem with that is that they have to come off to be able to renew the water pump, as the cover is hiding some of the bolts, (unless I cut the cover at that point)
Is there anyone out there that has experience with these?
Thanks.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt it, the 2.4 is uncommon on here. However the manual will cover how to set up the timing, normally the cams are pinned or clamped to ensure alignment.

Graham C

Reaction score
I doubt it, the 2.4 is uncommon on here. However the manual will cover how to set up the timing, normally the cams are pinned or clamped to ensure alignment.
Yes I've seen a couple of videos that talk about pinning, that would be where there is a hole either side of the block to insert a rod?
The workshop manual is a bit sparse on timing and only explains how to set up the pulleys.
I've done all that and it starts up and runs but I'm concerned it maybe a tooth out and wanted to check the Cams.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I've seen a couple of videos that talk about pinning, that would be where there is a hole either side of the block to insert a rod?
The workshop manual is a bit sparse on timing and only explains how to set up the pulleys.
I've done all that and it starts up and runs but I'm concerned it maybe a tooth out and wanted to check the Cams.
Possibly, I'm afraid mine are diesel so I don't know, doesn't the manual have drawings of the service tools in it?
Good news it starts and runs after the belt went, most modern stuff is interference.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had a look on Google, it looks like it's just aligne the marks, no pins involved.
However I would rotate it to align the marks and check again it there is any question.
What does the manual say in the camshaft replacement section? Might be more information there too, I'm out and about so I can't look at the manuals.

Graham C

Reaction score
It just says about lining up the pulley timer marks.
I'm going to check the compression on the cylinders tomorrow to see if the valves are OK and go from there.
Thanks for your suggestions
Graham

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to check the compression on the cylinders tomorrow to see if the valves are OK and go from there.
Graham
Good luck

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Graham
Graham -

You do know that the engine must be ‘in time’ already before you do a compression check, right?

I don’t know if 2.4 is an ‘interference’ or ‘non-interference’ engine.

Non - there is no chance for the valves to strike the pistons, and cams rotate freely with no issues.

Interference - vavle can and will strike the piston if the cams are not timed properly to the crank.

There is a rather lengthy YT video about changing the timing belt on a 2.4 - i am only part way thru it, so i can’t say for sure. - about an hour and 15 run time on the video.