2002 Jeep Liberty Limited radio antenna snapped off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Henryts77

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited and love it but the antenna is broken of which makes reception sketchy. Yes- I realize this was discussed here before but the latest thread is years old and some of the products are no longer available. I also realize there are numerous replacement antennas available online but the problem is the stud that contains the threaded opening is partially broken off so only leaving half the threaded opening and from I have read it is a royal pain to replace the connector assembly. Would anyone know if there is an antenna available that slips over the stud and uses a hex screw to fasten to the stud?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Henry could you post a photo of what the mount situation is/ looks like now?
What happened did it hit a tree branch or kids busted it off ?
I replaced mine with antenna X years ago, and so far so good.
Easier to clean windshield, no longer an armpit hanger from the OEM tall whip.
Reception locally is good, Distance stations not so well, the OEM whip is better then.
49714[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

49716[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• JeepAntenna2.jpg
    JeepAntenna2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 0
  • JeepAntenna.jpg
    JeepAntenna.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Henryts77

Reaction score
Photo of antenna mount

Henry could you post a photo of what the mount situation is/ looks like now?
What happened did it hit a tree branch or kids busted it off ?
I replaced mine with antenna X years ago, and so far so good.
Easier to clean windshield, no longer an armpit hanger from the OEM tall whip.
Reception locally is good, Distance stations not so well, the OEM whip is better then.

Not exactly sure what happened to the antenna as it came like that - never paid attention as the radio was getting the stations I listen to at the time. Here is a picture of the mount:

Attachments

• 100_0254.jpg
    100_0254.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Reaction score
I agree with the others, there's just not much there to work with. The only things I would suggest are to either go to the trouble of replacing the thing, or add a separate antenna. I used to add them using a chassis punch and they looked OEM. Either way it will take some work.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Hang on here ...
With the plastic cap gone, does it not unscrew so you can put a new base on?
Can some one consult a FSM..on this I am short on time off to work...
I suppose the dealer would know if the part may be available....

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The outer half of the hole that the mast screws into is gone.
Option one is to replace the antenna base.
Option two would be to file the remaining stub round, and tap some threads on it. Then go to the plumbing section of a hardware store and get a brass right angle fitting and do some creative adapting.
Option three would be to drill out and tap a hole straight into what's left, and install the stubby rubber whip mast.
Option three might find you whipping some pedestrians or other vehicles though! ;)

Henryts77

Reaction score
Sigh

:wtf2: I knew it was bad and that's why I was hoping to use a right angle antenna that attaches with set screws to the remaining post :/ This setup reminds me of a Ford Focus I had where I had to jack up the front end and remove the inner wheel well cover to boost the a/c - then again that seems easy in comparison :p. I wish there was a retrofit windshield antenna - I have read elsewhere a reference to them but they seem to have been discontinued :(

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you found a right angle/set screw mount mast? That's worth a shot, but you want to have a way to stabilize the antenna so that it doesn't try to flop around like a pinwheel. A pointed end set screw and drilling a small counter-sunk hole on the shaft would help to keep it in place.

Henryts77

Reaction score
Have you found a right angle/set screw mount mast? That's worth a shot, but you want to have a way to stabilize the antenna so that it doesn't try to flop around like a pinwheel. A pointed end set screw and drilling a small counter-sunk hole on the shaft would help to keep it in place.

I know I have see them but just trying to find them again :icon_frown:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Reaction score
...Option two would be to file the remaining stub round, and tap some threads on it. Then go to the plumbing section of a hardware store and get a brass right angle fitting and do some creative adapting...
This is a CB antenna mount, but with the right adapter it might work:

3/8 x 24 Right Angle Antenna Stud Mount

Be careful, though. You get too many adapters on there and it might look funny:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you may have missed....

blah blah blah.... and from I have read it is a royal pain to replace the connector assembly. and then some more blah blah blah

I can neither confirm nor deny the difficulty of the project, as I haven't needed to replace mine yet. The antenna on my Wrangler was a piece of cake, but that doesn't count!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Reaction score
I think the hassle lies in all the stuff you have to remove to get at the inside, which I have clumsily highlighted in yellow:

Henryts77

Reaction score
All that to avoid a $15 part ... I must be missing something... which is entirely possible :D

56038526AG. Chrysler. ANTENNA.

As others have replied - it's not the cost of the part but what you have to do to replace it. Although if I read that site you linked to correct in addition to the part you listed it costs around $16 for the antenna itself and $2.00 for the bezel for a cost of $32. The cost is still not prohibitive but from what I read elsewhere there is a chance you can damage the fender. I may check the local pick and pull yard and see if they have any Liberty's I could try to remove one from and see how it goes.