2012 No Crank No Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jheckmann

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 2012 Liberty and it was used daily until about 10 months ago. Was always dependable with no big issues. Was used off and on occasionally after that. When we decided that it was time to sell it; no start/ no crank. Also, we realized the Key Fab wasn't working. Replaced TIPM, ECM, Fuse, battery & Relay. Took it to a mechanic and he said he checked the Neutral Safety Switch and checked some other things but he couldn't figure it out. Any ideas?

lfhoward

Wheel. Repair. Repeat.
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it:
- do nothing when you turn the key
- click when you turn the key
- start for a half a second and then die

Just clarifying to see if I can help.

lfhoward

Wheel. Repair. Repeat.
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The starter is not on your list of replaced parts. Can you see if you can jump the starter relay and get some starter engagement? (Just for a second — it will not run the car but should rule out a bad starter.

My other thought has to do with if it sat a long time, if mice have chewed through some wiring. Take a close look at your wire harnesses for evidence of anything like that.

jheckmann

Reaction score
The starter is not on your list of replaced parts. Can you see if you can jump the starter relay and get some starter engagement? (Just for a second — it will not run the car but should rule out a bad starter.

My other thought has to do with if it sat a long time, if mice have chewed through some wiring. Take a close look at your wire harnesses for evidence of anything like that.
Jumped the starter relay & tried to crank. Haven't noticed any bad wiring but may need to look at it closer.

lfhoward

Wheel. Repair. Repeat.
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your starter is receiving no power when you turn the key, since it will turn when current is applied manually. Do you have a multimeter to check for voltage at the relay? The relay would be the next thing to try and rule out. It is not impossible that the new one the mechanic put in could turn out to be bad.

john e denson

Reaction score
I would try to jump the starter with a wire directly from the starter to the battery. Jumping at the relay is a good START but, it does not mean it is not the starter. There are other circuits involved in the relay.

ShowMe Cherokee

Reaction score
I had this issue with my daughters 2010. It was the positive battery cable that was bad. You can do a voltage drop test between the positive battery terminal and the starter terminal. Connect your DVM and try to start. If it the voltage is greater than 0.5V then there is too much resistance in the cable. If the drop is less than 0.2V then do the same test on the negative battery cable to the engine ground. It should be less than 0.2V if I remember correctly. I did the big 7 cable upgrade and it now runs better than original.

jheckmann

Reaction score
I would try to jump the starter with a wire directly from the starter to the battery. Jumping at the relay is a good START but, it does not mean it is not the starter. There are other circuits involved in the relay.
It's a brand new starter. It did start when jumping from the relay, so there should be no issue with the starter.

jheckmann

Reaction score
I had this issue with my daughters 2010. It was the positive battery cable that was bad. You can do a voltage drop test between the positive battery terminal and the starter terminal. Connect your DVM and try to start. If it the voltage is greater than 0.5V then there is too much resistance in the cable. If the drop is less than 0.2V then do the same test on the negative battery cable to the engine ground. It should be less than 0.2V if I remember correctly. I did the big 7 cable upgrade and it now runs better than original.
I will check on that. Thanks.

john e denson

Reaction score
I have a 2005 and had to replace the key switch on an internment no crank I ended up having to replace the electrical box that the key switch turns to fix my problem. can you hear the fuel pump cut on when you turn the key on.