AC Compressor oil fill necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyJeep

Reaction score
Hello All,

My 2006 developed a wobbly AC clutch the other day. The air conditioning is working nice and cold still, but I'm no longer using it until I can replace the old with a new compressor with an already attached clutch. Here is my question about the oil. The new compressor is already pre-filled with oil. The manufacturer, Denso, says they put 180cc/6.1 oz in it. I read about this thing called oil balancing which basically says measure the oil in the old compressor and the make sure that is all you have in the new compressor. But when I remove the old compressor don't I have to evacuate the freon first? And doesn't that suck out all the oil as well? If that is the case wouldn't I have to ADD oil to the system?

Thanks much in advance!

Last edited:

SkyJeep

Reaction score
If it's just the clutch bearing, there are rebuild kits and it's an easy fix.

Gyro
What are the symptoms of a bad clutch bearing? I can tell you this, the compressor squeals now at regular speeds, and around 4000 rpm the engine shakes violently.

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove serpentine belt from pulley, check the shaft for play, in and out, up and down and check clutch for play on the shaft.
If it shaking bad,may want to replace the belt also.

Gyro

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil in an AC is tricky, if you have to open the system then get it vacuumed down and fully replaced, too much oil can destroy the compressor and atmospheric water is terrible for the system, a full vacuum will clean and dry the system + prove integrity before putting expensive gas in.
If it's a pulley change then happy days, leave the oil and refrigerant alone.