Air con on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Welsh Dragon

Reaction score
Hi there all!

Had my jeep now for a month and didn't expect fantastic fuel economy - figured the jeep is worth the cost as you can't run a motor like the jeep where I come from (UK) if you are concerned about fuel costs. However I have noticed when leaving the jeep after a run I can smell that the air con has been running. Checked handbook and it seems that if climate control dial is on windscreen / demist symbol then air con automaticaly runs is this the case?. I have driven it for a month with climate control on this setting constantly and have got approx 20 mpg, auto air con must be affecting this value. Have now set dial to dash vents where apparently air con doesn't run this must surely improve results???idea.gif

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there all!

Had my jeep now for a month and didn't expect fantastic fuel economy - figured the jeep is worth the cost as you can't run a motor like the jeep where I come from (UK) if you are concerned about fuel costs. However I have noticed when leaving the jeep after a run I can smell that the air con has been running. Checked handbook and it seems that if climate control dial is on windscreen / demist symbol then air con automaticaly runs is this the case?. I have driven it for a month with climate control on this setting constantly and have got approx 20 mpg, auto air con must be affecting this value. Have now set dial to dash vents where apparently air con doesn't run this must surely improve results???idea.gif

The manufacturer has it set up that way to insure that the air conditioner pump comes on during cold weather to lubricate the seals in the system.

Welsh Dragon

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply - i guess this means it's better to run with dial set to windscreen / demist and have air con on constantly ?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The manufacturer has it set up that way to insure that the air conditioner pump comes on during cold weather to lubricate the seals in the system.
The air conditioner running in those settings also drys out the air blowing across the window to help remove condensation faster (helps keep the fog off your windshield).

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply - i guess this means it's better to run with dial set to windscreen / demist and have air con on constantly ?

The compressor will run as needed in the second position (from the right) as well, windscreen/floor I believe it is.
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compressor runs in the floor, floor/defrost, and defrost modes on the 05+ Jeeps. My 04 only runs in the defrost/floor and defrost modes. I personally wish it only ran in the defrost mode. I know when I need the A/C and when I dont to defrost the windows, it doesnt need to do it for me.

Our old ZJ only runs the A/C in the Defrost mode. I drove it when I first got my license and really like that feature. Its the little things that make me happy.

You can crack open the Climate control and cut certain wires to make it do whatever you want.

I would also like to get a climate control unit from an 05+ Jeep so I can control when the A/C comes on in the face settings and such.

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Wigan ,Lancashire . I've got relatives in st florence nr Tenby ,your about 160 miles ish away from me.

Last edited:

Welsh Dragon

Reaction score
Not many of us on this forum from this side of the pond good to here from you, Tenby's a bit flat for my liking but visit there regularly for breaks away fantastic place. Bump into you on some other thread soon i'm sure. Cheers.

Welsh Dragon

Reaction score
yeah lots of hill trails & rock climbs although took it out almost as soon as I got it a couple of weeks ago but once committed to sertain sections wished I had extra skid plates no damage done tho (except for tree branch scratches!) great fun!