Clutch Slave cylinder removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcourson

Reaction score
I know the clutch hydraulic system is sold as a single system but I need to remove just the slave cylinder so I can lube the pivot points and throw out bearing shaft. All I want to do is pull it out, lube the pivot then bolt it back up. Will this plastic slave fall apart if it is pulled out? Since it is sold new with a plastic retaining strap, I'm afraid it needs constant loading to keep the piston in the cylinder. The last thing I want to do is replace the entire master/slave system just so I can lube the pivot point.

Last edited:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the transmission out twice now in the last 12 years. Same old master and slave. No clutch fluid lost or leaked, so it must have been possible.

That said, I couldn't manage to lube anything like you propose. The pivot is on the opposite end of the fork from the slave. On one of the re&re's the TO bearing collar had some pretty mean wear on it from lack of lube.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had the clutch slave replaced three times in the XJ, so you’re right on schedule, lol.

bcourson

Reaction score
I've had the transmission out twice now in the last 12 years. Same old master and slave. No clutch fluid lost or leaked, so it must have been possible.

That said, I couldn't manage to lube anything like you propose. The pivot is on the opposite end of the fork from the slave. On one of the re&re's the TO bearing collar had some pretty mean wear on it from lack of lube.
I plan on trying to get to the pivot ball through the starter hole. I get a loud click when I push in the clutch to about 3/4 to the floor then another not as loud click when the clutch pedal is released about 3/4 of the way out. It's not the interlock switch but clearly coming from the bell housing. I really don't want to do another Jeep transmission pull working on a garage floor with jack stands.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pivot ball is on the passenger side. Starter is on the driver's. The fork looks more like a dog bone, with the bearing and input through the middle of its span.

I do my transmissions on the floor too. Ramps/blocks under the tires. The jeep trans isn't that big or heavy .