CRD engine failure: Replacement or Part-out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have posted about it before, but my 2005 Liberty CRD Limited blew up on April 6, 2024; RIP
I disassembled everything and the exhaust valve in cylinder 2 had snapped marring the head, the piston and the liner. I documented everything and the cost for a full rebuild is about $5700 US dollars: Head, pistons, liners, gaskets, head bolts, rockers. I found a few used engines on E-bay motors for $3500 US and another website for $3000 US; but I only know the mileage of the motors, not their condition or if they will run. I haven't found any other motors online, though I have heard stories of people finding them used. The used engines would probably need rockers, head volts, and a head gasket since they are already out of the car. This would cost about $1000 US. I don't know of any other options for a running 2.8 CRD.

I bought my Jeep in 2022 with 114,000 miles on it, for $7000 US; in the first year of ownership, I put 20,000 miles on it and spent another $7000 in maintenance and modifications. not to mention the fuel cost of 20,000 miles...
If I decide to repair it, I will have spent at least $20,000 US in three years, for a 20 year old car with 143,000 miles on it; its sale value will be around $10,000 US. Consequently, to buy another Liberty Limited with the standard 3.7 and the same mileage, its about $7000 US. And that would be bone stock, ugly, and boring.

So its about the same price anyway; I've looked at the car market in my area and I can't find anything else in that condition for less than $10,000. Any wranglers are at least 10k, and you can't find a pickup truck at that price with less than 200,000 miles. I am a Jeep guy, and I do not want to drive a bigger truck or SUV; now that I have lived with a Jeep, I cannot settle for anything less.

Does anyone have any resources that I haven't come across? Is there an obvious solution that I am missing? From where I am at, I only see a few possibilities:
1. Pay out $6-7,000 to fully rebuild what I have already; I can keep all of my mods, and the title and registration won't change. I also keep some random amenities like my window tint
2. Pay out $5000 to get and service a used engine and hope that it runs well. Likewise, I still keep all of my mods
3. Sell the vehicle as-is, likely to a scrap/salvage yard; I lose all of the mods and a really clean body, but I get the cash right away, probably less than $2000 US
4. Part out the car for as much as possible, but I likely won't get the money very soon; I could get more money this way but it would take longer. I could sell both axles with 3.73 gears and an LSD, low mileage 545rfe transmission, five speed transfer case, driveshafts, a complete lift kit with around 20,000 miles on it, as well as a set of aftermarket performance brakes. Beyond that, I have a full set of quality LED lights, four light bars, roof rack, and a very clean body that could supply four doors and two fenders as replacements. The interior is in very nice condition, with most of the wear around the driver. I don't know how much that all would be worth, but based on my experience as a mechanic and a body tech it could all be worth $3-5000 US, IF I can find buyers, and that could take some time.
5. By any chance is there someone out there sitting on a spare CRD engine that they are willing to sell? I am a full time college student in Oklahoma City, and I am working to pay cash through college, so I don't have a big budget for car repairs.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5K For a used engine is nuts!
You must be registered for see images attach

Were CRD Jeeps sold in Mexico by any chance? Might be a better source for cheaper bits.
Edit- they were also used in some mini vans, might be another option.

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 5k was $3500 for the engine, and changing the head gasket, head bolts, rockers, timing belt, and probably glow plugs. And the only engine I found had 145k miles. Unfortunately there were only ever 10000 CRD libertys in the US. There aren’t many engines available so the price is really high. Theoretically, you could ship one in from Europe, but I doubt the shipping cost would make it worth it.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your cheapest option is to rebuild the engine you already have, you may get lucky and find some second hand parts in the US but the import cost on a piston and liner shouldn't be too bad if you have to go down that route.

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to know if it’s worth it to get four cylinders and liners or not. Only one was damaged, but I’m tempted to do them all at once. It would save me $2000 but if I rebuild it and find that they’re down on compression it will have been a waste of time

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest expense is the new head that I need. I’m guessing it’s probably hard to find used heads.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given the cost I would measure the surviving pistons and liners for wear and go from there, if they have been disturbed then replace the seals but it's hard to justify too much cost on an older car. Is your head totally wrecked or can it be welded up and machined? Worth asking around, stuff can be saved.
Maybe hunt down another blown engine if you can find one or try the guy on Lost who works on them and the supply's you mentioned earlier, see if they know of any second hand parts or doner cars.
Failing that book a cheap holiday to the UK with an empty suitcase.... ;-)
It's tricky, the situation is the other way around here, loads of engine but gearboxes, axles and suspension parts are thin on the ground, especially if you want any upgrades.