Engine appears to be over heating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1010camo

Reaction score
I have just got my KJ back for some transmission work done to replaced the solenoid pack and now it is shifting properly.
However, the engine temperature is past the half to 3/4 mark. It's a little to high for my comfort level. Every time I start the engine there is three chirping or beeping sound with no other indicator light on dash or the info display (except for the rear glass is not closed while it clearly is closed).
The coolant level appears to be full but seems to have the green antifreeze in it. I was looking online and with the manual to use the HOAT coolant. What color is that suppose to be, green, yellow, orange or purple? Could it cause the engine to overheat with the wrong coolant in the system or its not related at all.
I will test the fan and if working I will try to connect a bypass wire to the clutch fan to see if it will help lower the temperature a bit. How can you tell if the water pump and thermostate are working properly as the system is closed and only visible somewhat at the reservior tank. Your help and suggestions would be very much appreciated, thank you.

1010camo

Reaction score
Colour is not really a reliable indicator like it was in the good ol days… as long as it is labeled H.O.A.T you’re good.
The green coolant was in the reservoir by previous owner. So I cantell if it is the correct HOAT or not. Do you think it will actually make a difference in the engine temperature with the cooling system?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I don’t know about the temps but ising the wrong coolant will definitely shorten the life of your cooling system.

Help us out @LibertyTC

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with mixing HOAT with any other type of coolant is that doing so leads to a chemical reaction which partly gels the mixed coolants and this not only restricts flow by the pump but can also clog the smaller passages of the cooling system and radiator. :eek:

In short, the more of ANY another type of fluid that is mixed with HOAT that is already in your Jeeps cooling system, the more gelling and blockage will occur.

While HOAT is factory spec'd and is an excellent coolant for these engines, a FULL flush and COMPLETE change to one type of coolant or another will also work to keep your Jeeps engine running ay proper temps.

That said, I dont suggest flushing pure HOAT in order to swap to regular old green coolant as HOAT is a much longer lasting coolant ...

Last edited:

1010camo

Reaction score
Seafish, thank you for your suggestion. It totally make sense if gelling is an end result by chemical reaction of the two different coolant. Are there any type of cooling system flush you could recommend to get rid of any or to clear most of the gelling or clogging byproduct within the system passages before it is refilled with HOAT coolant?

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any type of cooling system flush you could recommend to get rid of any or to clear most of the gelling or clogging byproduct within the system passages before it is refilled with HOAT coolant?

There may well be, though I dont know of any specifically other, then the usual flushing products.
That said, I would advise doing multiple flushes, including a final one using distilled water, to ensure that as much as the old coolant as possible is out of the engine block as well as the entire cooling system.

In short, keep flushing, running and flushing until what comes out of the block and radiator are clear as possble.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Dont use any flushing type products. Flush with distilled water or DE-mineralized.
Mopar Hoat Coolant only or Zerex GO5 can be purchased as pre-mixed at 50 percent which is less expensive.
Green coolant = eek. Drop the lower rad hose to drain it. Flush out the reservoir too.
if it needs new rad hoses, replace them.
Would also be a good time to ensure a Mopar thermostat is utilized & installed with correct orientation.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a cheapskate so I flush with tap water multiple times to get the old coolant out, don't forget to put the hose in the block as well as the radiator...
Once I've done that I let it drain, then put the bottom hose back on and fill it with deminaralised water, then dump it and fill with HOTE, keep some spare as it will need to be topped up after it's first run.

However before you do any of that change the thermostat as LibertyTC says above, you don't want to throw fresh coolant on the ground once you have filled it up!

1010camo

Reaction score
I'm a cheapskate so I flush with tap water multiple times to get the old coolant out, don't forget to put the hose in the block as well as the radiator...
Once I've done that I let it drain, then put the bottom hose back on and fill it with deminaralised water, then dump it and fill with HOTE, keep some spare as it will need to be topped up after it's first run.

However before you do any of that change the thermostat as LibertyTC says above, you don't want to throw fresh coolant on the ground once you have filled it up!
Thank you KJowner for the great advice. I thought I can find the heater hose to add a Tee to do a complete flush like old days. I suppose this is a better and faster way to flush it out completely. Hopefully there's not too much gelling internally. I will pick up a new thermostat and get it done this weekend, hopefully it will improve the cooling in a big way, before I tackle the AC system .

1010camo

Reaction score
Trying to pick up parts necessary to do the cooling system flush. The stealership wants $71 for an OEM thermostat that is an outrageous amount for a thermostat imo or Is that how much it cost now a days? We are not talking about the HOAT coolant yet.

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to pick up parts necessary to do the cooling system flush. The stealership wants $71 for an OEM thermostat that is an outrageous amount for a thermostat imo or Is that how much it cost now a days? We are not talking about the HOAT coolant yet.

RockAuto has the OEM MOPAR thermostat for your Jeep for $38, though Im not sure if they'll ship to Canada.
That said, don't be tempted by the cheaper aftermarket versions they also carry.;)

Any decent discount auto parts supply house should carry the Zerex G05 which is HOAT.
Be sure to get the concentrate version ... no sense paying extra for the distilled water..
but then dont forget to buy distilled water at your local grocery.

1010camo

Reaction score
RockAuto has the OEM MOPAR thermostat for your Jeep for $38, though Im not sure if they'll ship to Canada.
That said, don't be tempted by the cheaper aftermarket versions they also carry.;)

Any decent discount auto parts supply house should carry the Zerex G05 which is HOAT.
Be sure to get the concentrate version ... no sense paying extra for the distilled water..
but then dont forget to buy distilled water at your local grocery.
Thank you, I will check into that. Btw, I see that Prestone all vehicle coolant claims the are compatible with HOAT as well. Would you recommend to use that as they are cheaper then actual HOAT coolant.

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see that Prestone all vehicle coolant claims the are compatible with HOAT as well. Would you recommend to use that as they are cheaper then actual HOAT coolant.
I would not recommend that unless doing a full and complete flush and even then I wouldnt do it as HOAT is the better /longer lasting coolant

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just reread your first post with details about your overheating and how the temp gauge is running at the 3/4 mark...

That detail, combined with the unknown variable of which coolant types have been added to your system, again makes me suspect and concerned that there is some sort of gelling/restriction involved in the overheating.

Of course, it MOGHT be a failing thermostat, but even then I still HIGHLY suggest that you do a thorough flush of cooling system and engine block and then refill with the factory recommended HOAT, as others here have also recommended.

ALSO recommend closely inspecting for dirty or damaged radiator fins which you should clean while you're in the process of a cooling system R&R.

just my .02

Last edited:

1010camo

Reaction score
I just reread your first post with details about your overheating and how the temp gauge is running at the 3/4 mark...

That detail, combined with the unknown variable of which coolant types have been added to your system, again makes me suspect and concerned that there is some sort of gelling/restriction involved in the overheating.

Of course, it MOGHT be a failing thermostat, but even then I still HIGHLY suggest that you do a thorough flush of cooling system and engine block and then refill with the factory recommended HOAT, as others here have also recommended.

ALSO recommend closely inspecting for dirty or damaged radiator fins which you should clean while you're in the process of a cooling system R&R.

just my .02
Will do that, thanks for the sound advice. Very much appreciated

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I’ve bought from Rockauto before should have no problems with shipping. Although it may be a wash by the time you pay for it. $38~$52

slowcrawlerZJ

Reaction score
Seafish, thank you for your suggestion. It totally make sense if gelling is an end result by chemical reaction of the two different coolant. Are there any type of cooling system flush you could recommend to get rid of any or to clear most of the gelling or clogging byproduct within the system passages before it is refilled with HOAT coolant?
I recommend this, Thoro Flush, to flush your system. I’ve used this countless times when folks have mixed the wrong antifreeze fluids and clogged up their systems as folks have said on here. It works amazing at unclogging everything. You can get it at all major auto parts suppliers for around $23.

Attachments

• IMG_5674.jpeg
    IMG_5674.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 4

1010camo

Reaction score
SlowcrawlerZJ , thank you. I will pick one up to try it out. I strange that I have called several Auto Parts store like Lordco and Napa they only have Motorad, Stanz and Gate for thermostat and no OEM one. Thanks again

slowcrawlerZJ

Reaction score
SlowcrawlerZJ , thank you. I will pick one up to try it out. I strange that I have called several Auto Parts store like Lordco and Napa they only have Motorad, Stanz and Gate for thermostat and no OEM one. Thanks again
You bet. It’s some great stuff. Just follow the directions on the bottle and it will clean out your cooling system really great.