Foaming powersteering fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rennocneb

Reaction score
OK, have an 06 Liberty CRD. Keep getting air in powersteering fluid. I have changed the pump, and rack. No visible leaks anywhere on the hoses, and also tried swapping out the return line, New o-rings on everything and it still is getting air in the system somehow? It wont do it when its cool, and it wont do it until you place the tires on the ground and put a load on the system. Any suggestions PLEASE!!!!

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure the cap is on tight or you may have a bad pump like I did. Also even if your lines show no visable leaks that does not mean that air is not coming in to the system threw the hoses. If your hoses are rusty like mine were when i had this problem you should replace the lines.

rennocneb

Reaction score
the lines have been replaced just before i bought the jeep not long ago. i have also tried to replace the return to see if ti made a difference and it did not. The pressure side i wouldnt think would let air in? just fluid out. The pump is also new so i know its not the pump or rack. Is the cap supposed to be air tight?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are saying you have changed everything but the rack so have you really checked the rack. Also why did you have to change the pump? Just remember because a part is new does not mean it can't be bad.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Foaming "powersteering fluid"???
Are you using ATF+4 transmission fluid in the PS reservoir?

rennocneb

Reaction score
no i have replaced the rack, pump, put a new line from reservoir down to pump due to a rub almost through the old line, and tried swapping out a different return line with new o-rings on everything and still it draws air. I bled the thing for almost 2 hours last night including using vacum on it. I got it where the fluid level only dropped about a 1/4 of an inch when the engine was started and still no air in it with everything off the ground. Then i put the tires on the ground to move the jeep and literally driving it 50 feet to park it on grass caused it to begin to foam. so it seems its when the pump sees load. I am using valvoline full sythnethic ATF+4 in it.

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you bleeding it like you would bleed brakes?

here is the procedure from the FSM.

CAUTION: MOPAR ATF+4 is to be used in the power steering system. No other power steering or auto-
matic transmission fluid is to be used in the system. Damage may result to the power steering pump and
system if any other fluid is used, and do not overfill.
NOTE: Power steering reservoir cap contains a dipstick. The reservoir has a molded in level indicator and
a window to observe fluid level.
Wipe filler cap clean, then check the fluid level. The dipstick should indicate
COLD
when the fluid is at normalambient temperature.

1. Fill the pump fluid reservoir to the proper level and let the fluid settle for at least two minutes.
2. Raise the front wheels off the ground.
3. Slowly turn the steering wheel right and left, lightly contacting the wheel stops at least 20 times.
4. Check the fluid level add if necessary.
5. Lower the vehicle, start the engine and turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock.
6. Stop the engine and check the fluid level and refill as required.
CAUTION: Do not run a vehicle with foamy fluid for an extended period. This may cause pump damage.
7. If the fluid is extremely foamy or milky looking, allow the vehicle to stand a few minutes and repeat the proce-
dure.
8. Add fluid if necessary. Repeat the above procedure until the fluid level remains constant after running the engine.

Gyro

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you bleeding it like you would bleed brakes?

here is the procedure from the FSM.

CAUTION: MOPAR ATF+4 is to be used in the power steering system. No other power steering or auto-
matic transmission fluid is to be used in the system. Damage may result to the power steering pump and
system if any other fluid is used, and do not overfill.
NOTE: Power steering reservoir cap contains a dipstick. The reservoir has a molded in level indicator and
a window to observe fluid level.
Wipe filler cap clean, then check the fluid level. The dipstick should indicate
COLD
when the fluid is at normalambient temperature.

1. Fill the pump fluid reservoir to the proper level and let the fluid settle for at least two minutes.
2. Raise the front wheels off the ground.
3. Slowly turn the steering wheel right and left, lightly contacting the wheel stops at least 20 times.
4. Check the fluid level add if necessary.
5. Lower the vehicle, start the engine and turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock.
6. Stop the engine and check the fluid level and refill as required.
CAUTION: Do not run a vehicle with foamy fluid for an extended period. This may cause pump damage.
7. If the fluid is extremely foamy or milky looking, allow the vehicle to stand a few minutes and repeat the proce-
dure.
8. Add fluid if necessary. Repeat the above procedure until the fluid level remains constant after running the engine.

Gyro
^^^^^Do this^^^^^^

Step #3 is very important,make sure engine is off and hold it at full lock for at least 5-10 seconds each time.The R&P can trap air and the style of PS system used in the CRD(separate pump and tank) makes bleeding a nightmare sometimes.

rennocneb

Reaction score
ive followed the procedure from my FSM which was paraphrasing

1) Fill to correct level and let settle
2) attach vacuum pump and pull between 20-25in hg for at least 4 minutes
3) diconnect vac pump and check level fill as needed and repeat step 2 and 3 until level stays constant
4) raise front tires and cycle steering side to side for about 5 minutes while pulling 20-25in hg of vacuum on system
5) check to make sure level stays constant and repeat step 4 and 5 until it does
6) start engine and cycle side to side
7) check fulid level with engine off and make sure its remained steady and repeat steps 6 and 7 if not.

basically i have it where its not showing any air when not running or running with wheels lifted off ground from what i can tell. level isnt moving at shut off etc. however i do see a very slight drop in level when i start the engine.

Now last night i had it where it dropped only about a 1/4 of an inch when starting the engine lowered it to ground and moved it to park it and it foamed up on me during this. I let it set overnight and it was good clear fluid this morning but at a higher level than before. and when i start the engine it drops way down below max cool. It did not puke any out last night when it foamed, but its dropping way more meaning air. Its like its drawing air, but i just dont see how or where i have no leaks ive looked. tried replacing the return line to be sure, put a screw type hose clamp on the return and tightened the crap out of it, still this is going on. I love the jeep but man its getting to the point its time to get rid of it.

Latest posts

Members online