Help please ASAP with P0700 code ****** won't shift past 2nd gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1010camo

Reaction score
Help ASAP please, I am new here and I have just bought this with an engine light believing seller that it's an O2 sensor and test drove it in an under ground parking only. When I got home and scanning with an OBD reader it came up with P0158 and P0700 with transmission control system (mil request) it will drive but will not shift pass 2nd causing overheating. What should I do? Can this be be fix diy or need a transmission shop for repair? Any suggestion and recommendations in South Vancouver or Richmond area that's reasonable and honest without going to stealership? I need it to be a safe ride without spending a small fortune for my son attending school. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Attachments

• 20240709_141958.jpg
    20240709_141958.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240709_141933.jpg
    20240709_141933.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 2

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to get someone with a high end scanner to read the codes from the gearbox, the 700 code is the engine ECU telling you it's seeing a fault code on the gearbox.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Find a transmission shop that has a Snap On Modis Ultra scanner. Get a print out of all the current & pending codes.
This scanner can also read the CVi - clutch volume index codes.

1010camo

Reaction score
You need to get someone with a high end scanner to read the codes from the gearbox, the 700 code is the engine ECU telling you it's seeing a fault code on the gearbox.
Thank you will do that.

1010camo

Reaction score
I got a quote from Bose Automotive in Richmond to remove pan to replace solenoid and a bunch of other stuff for $15500-$1600 is that reasonable?
Besides the P0700 there's also P0755 for shift solenoid B
Or should I just get a used transmission instead?

rfanslau

Reaction score
I had the transmission code on my 2005 liberty 2.8l diesel. I had the transmission rebuilt, and the tcm replaced. And it turned out to be onlyva wire from the tcm to the transmission. I wasn't getting over drive. Now it works great. Start with the small things. Before tearing apart the car like I did. A simple wire caused the whole problem

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what 7 found in All Data relating to both dtc

Attachments

• IMG_20240715_133119.jpg
    IMG_20240715_133119.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_2024-07-15-13-29-30-285_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-07-15-13-29-30-285_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 6

1010camo

Reaction score
I had the transmission code on my 2005 liberty 2.8l diesel. I had the transmission rebuilt, and the tcm replaced. And it turned out to be onlyva wire from the tcm to the transmission. I wasn't getting over drive. Now it works great. Start with the small things. Before tearing apart the car like I did. A simple wire caused the whole problem
Thank you for your suggestion, I have brought it to Boss Automotive who deals only on transmission. They figured its the solenoid issue together with a few other issue but a rebuild is not needed at a cost of about $1500. They haven't finished it yet, I hope that solves the problem. Thank you

rfanslau

Reaction score
Yea do you have the 2.8 l diesel or gas engine. It's tuff to find shops willing to work on my car. I love my diesel

rfanslau

Reaction score
Well I can not seen to be able to remove the clutch fan, but it looks as if there is a bracket between the block and fan clutch. Held in with 3 0r 4 bolts has anyone taken this off and are they right or left hand bolts like the one I snaped on the tensioner

rfanslau

Reaction score
And is the clutch left or right hand threads I am trying it lefty loosey and getting no where

1010camo

Reaction score
Got my KJ back from Boss Automotive, they have replace the solenoid did a complete service to the transmission for $1600 and it shifting and drives fine now as it should.
However, engine temperature is still past the half to 3/4 mark for my comfort level as it seems to be a bit too high. I will post another thread for this issue.

I hope it will keep running as it is now, I will update if anything changes comes up. Thank you all for your suggestions and help.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And is the clutch left or right hand threads I am trying it lefty loosey and getting no where
It's a pig to get off, lefty loosey is correct if I remember, I finished up with a large allan key stuck through the fan hub and a large spanner on the hub nut with a bar to hold some tension on it with one hand and a copper hammer to batter it loose. It was stupidly hard to get off, took nearly as long as replacing the cam belt....
Glad I work on Cats for a living not Jeeps!

rfanslau

Reaction score
Well I cut the fan shroud in half and made two brackets to make it one again with it removed I was able to remove the fan with the mounting bracket all in one piece. The good thing was that the idle pully that had a broken bolt was in that bracket. Drilling the bolt in a vice was much ezer than under the hood. Best part was a right hand drill in a left hand bolt half way tru the bolt came out with the drill bit I was so surprised I thought I was going to half to buy left hand screw extractors. But every thing went well without removing the clutch.