How to replace radiator drain valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ikster

Reaction score
Our 2005 Liberty V-6 with 125K miles overheated in city traffic, but was OK on the road. I know the cooling system is in pretty good condition, but realized the thermostat had never been replaced. Not a fun job, but installed a new one and a lower radiator hose. Trickled water i until it came out of the drain valve. Attempted to close the valve and it BROKE! I see that O'Reilly Auto has a Dorman replacement valve. How do I get the old one out and the new one in? Hoping I don't have to replace the whole radiator. Having hand surgery next week, so I need to get this done. Really appreciate any and all help.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never tried to do a draincock replacement, but if there is not enough room to see, you may be better to pull the radiator and get it on a flat surface for the surgery.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the kit won't fit I'd be tempted to clean it up and fill it with epoxy, cheaper than a new radiator. I normally just pop the bottom hose to drain.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ikster, I hope you purchased the correct Mopar thermostat and used Mopar hoat coolant or zerex G05 coolant only.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online