Keep getting air in power steering, HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rennocneb

Reaction score
i have an issue with air getting in the power steering and foaming the fluid. I have checked all connections and replaced o-rings on pressure and return lines at rack, the high pressure line was replaced by the PO right before i bought the jeep and it had air in it when i bought it. Bled it out good and it was fine for about 2 months now i i can bleed it its fine even running with the tires lifted. i take it down the road 5 miles and its got air in it. i moved the outer end of the rack and pinon bellows in and the inner tie rods didnt seem soaked in fluid. Its really not so much an issue with it loosing fluid other than what it pukes out the top of the reservoir when i shut it down after its full of air. For the life of me i cant figure it out, about to just throw a new rack in it to see what happens. Its a CRD if it matters. the pump is different on them but not the rack.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an issue with air getting in the power steering and foaming the fluid. I have checked all connections and replaced o-rings on pressure and return lines at rack, the high pressure line was replaced by the PO right before i bought the jeep and it had air in it when i bought it. Bled it out good and it was fine for about 2 months now i i can bleed it its fine even running with the tires lifted. i take it down the road 5 miles and its got air in it. i moved the outer end of the rack and pinon bellows in and the inner tie rods didnt seem soaked in fluid. Its really not so much an issue with it loosing fluid other than what it pukes out the top of the reservoir when i shut it down after its full of air. For the life of me i cant figure it out, about to just throw a new rack in it to see what happens. Its a CRD if it matters. the pump is different on them but not the rack.

You can have pinholes in the return line that you cannot see but they pull in air. You may need to replace the return line.

rennocneb

Reaction score
its a crd so the high pressure and return line are sold as a unit and the high pressure failed and was replaced by the previous owner. im assuming the return was as well is why I haven't jumped to it as the cause. How about the rack? can it cause air to enter the system? to throw in a further wrinkle tried swapping pump with same results. The rack shows no signs of leaking, and im talking it will go from fine to pure foam in the matter of 5 miles would a pinhole do that?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and im talking it will go from fine to pure foam in the matter of 5 miles would a pinhole do that?
Yes.

The return line on your CRD might have a reducer in it some place which also can cause a lot of issues.It did in Chrysler minivans and why there is a TSB to replace the return line with regular trans cooler line to delete the reducer.

rennocneb

Reaction score
Mine does have a reducer from probably half inch I'd to 3/8 or so about a foot before it dumps back into the reservoir. Now would this just suddenly start causing a foaming issue? Also how can I get rid of it? The inlet on the resivor is the smaller size plus the other end has the o ring fitting g that goes right into the rack. I don't have a PS cooler

rennocneb

Reaction score
i have noticed when i start the engine on my jeep the fluid level drops a bit at idle eve after bleeding everything.

Members online