KJ was sideswiped on the driver side, now it drifts to the right… faint growling sound on the highway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My 2006 KJ with 56k miles was sideswiped on the driver side. Now it drifts to the right slightly. Replaced just about everything but the lower control arms, had multiple alignments.
Chances that the subframe is bent? Worth fixing??

lfhoward

Wheel. Repair. Repeat.
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
How bad of a sideswipinng was it? Did they hit your tires? How much impact?

If you were aligned multiple times and you have the printouts showing it was in spec, and you’re sure all the ball joints are good… I would be looking at other possibilities like the steering rack bushings, or rear control arm bushings, or the ball joint above the rear diff. It could be the rear axle that is tweaked. Also, are the tire pressures the same right to left side, as the Jeep could pull to the right if a right side tire was under inflated.

Reaction score
How bad of a sideswipinng was it? Did they hit your tires? How much impact?

If you were aligned multiple times and you have the printouts showing it was in spec, and you’re sure all the ball joints are good… I would be looking at other possibilities like the steering rack bushings, or rear control arm bushings, or the ball joint above the rear diff. It could be the rear axle that is tweaked. Also, are the tire pressures the same right to left side, as the Jeep could pull to the right if a right side tire was under inflated.
It was hit pretty good. Snapped tie rod, rack n pinion.
Got

Reaction score
It was hit pretty good. Snapped tie rod, rack n pinion destroyed.
Got a new rack n pinion, upper control arms, lower ball joints, front calipers, steering knuckle, front diff, 4 brand new tires. For around 7grand, and its still drifting. Mechanic said hes done all he can do. Should i take it to a body shop?

lfhoward

Wheel. Repair. Repeat.
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good body shop could verify the unibody is straight and make it straight if it was a little off. My 08 was sideswiped in the rear less than a month after I bought it. The rear quarter panel, rear axle, control arms, track bar, tail light all needed replacing. I remember making sure everything was straight was an important part of the rebuild process.

Reaction score
A good body shop could verify the unibody is straight and make it straight if it was a little off. My 08 was sideswiped in the rear less than a month after I bought it. The rear quarter panel, rear axle, control arms, track bar, tail light all needed replacing. I remember making sure everything was straight was an important part of the rebuild process.
Thank you, yeah I should have taken it to a body shop/collision place first. Lesson learned.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cars must be worth more in the US, 7k would buy my 2004 CRD 3 times over and leave change!