Need to know a nut size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AngriezJeep

O noes! Jeep haz major ANGRIEZ!!1
Reaction score
So on my tie rod, the nylock nut fell off. Now I don't know what the thread in size is on it so I can just buy a replacement from a hardware distributor. Does somebody know what the size and thread of this nut is? ( I assume it's metric ). I could really use some help with this thank you.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moog says : es3535 tie rod end:

14.0 x 1.5mm pitch is the stud and nut size

I figure most are the same.

For my money, I’d go to the auto parts store and get a castle nut and cotter pin. That is what both of my kj have. Thread the castle nut on, torque to spec, turn until you can see the hole in the stud, pin it and bend over and end. Done. That will not come loose.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Almost by definition, nylocks can't just fall off. However, you are where you are &, in that position, I'd simply rummage around all the odd ones scattered around 'til I found one that fitted.

If you've really got to go out and buy, measure the other one (there are some bastard size nuts out there, but pretty sure this isn't such an application). I have seen charts that allow you to check the thread from the wrench size but I don't think you need to be that scientific.

Oh, & it's metric for sure.

AngriezJeep

O noes! Jeep haz major ANGRIEZ!!1
Reaction score
Moog says : es3535 tie rod end:

14.0 x 1.5mm pitch is the stud and nut size

I figure most are the same.

For my money, I’d go to the auto parts store and get a castle nut and cotter pin. That is what both of my kj have. Thread the castle nut on, torque to spec, turn until you can see the hole in the stud, pin it and bend over and end. Done. That will not come loose.
Thank you, and I may just do that. I forgot to look at the other tie rod to see if it had a castle nut. Silly of me

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Surprised it's that big (same as caliper bracket to knuckle bolts - another piece of pointless over-engineering) ) would 've guessed at M10.

& I stand corrected about it bein a castle nut, but I keep thinking of a KJ as being "modern"