Rattle in 02 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oiler_head

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've owned my '02 Liberty since Oct 01. I absolutely love this vehicle.

In Nov 06, I was in an accident where an f150 turned left across my path and I tee'd him. 10K in parts and labour later, the Jeep is almost perfect - except....

Except I have an intermittent (60% of the time) annoying shudder, rattle, vibration that appears to be coming from the transmission. I notice it when I shift through the gears, when I am driving at low speeds and when I lightly touch the accelerator. I thought it was a loose grill from the repairs but the noise is not present when I start the car and leave it in Park.

I took it back to the autobody shop that did the repair and they felt it was coming from the belt tensioner. The adjuster looked at the tensioner and didn't see anything. I took it to the dealer and one service manager said he heard the noise and thought it was serious but another service manager heard the noise and thought it was a Jeep noise or a possible issue with transmission. Note - it drives and shifts perfectly. :confused:

Any suggestions or advice? I am planning on taking it around to a few places to get opinions.

Thanks....

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what speed does it do this at?

did it do it immediately after the repair?

what was damaged in the wreck?

10k and its not totaled?