Stuck rear passenger door Help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jolson41

Reaction score
Rear passenger door on 08 liberty wont open. Window works and the lock goes up and down when you hit the button but can’t open the door from either inside or out. How do I get this open to take the door panel apart and find out what’s broken?? Thanks

lfhoward

Wheel. Repair. Repeat.
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’ll have to get to it by taking off the inner door panel inside the car. Do this with the window up or you will not be able to access the door catch mechanism which would be behind the rolled down window. I believe there’s a screw behind the panel around the doorhandle which you can pull off to get access. There is another screw in the rear, lower part of the door, underneath a little round panel you can pop out with a small flat screwdriver. Next, pull up on the window switch straight up, and that should pop out of the door armrest so you can unhook the electrical connector. Next lift straight up on the whole inner door panel and it should release after it comes up about an inch. Unclip the rods that connect the door handle to the latch mechanism so you can totally take off the inner door panel. From there, you should be able to access the latch mechanism. Not sure what you would have to do to release it, but I’m sure you can kind of figure out how it works once you see it.

Last edited:

jolson41

Reaction score
You’ll have to get to it by taking off the inner door panel inside the car. Do this with the window up or you will not be able to access the door catch mechanism which would be behind the rolled down window. I believe there’s a screw behind the panel around the doorhandle which you can pull off to get access. There is another screw in the rear, lower part of the door, underneath a little round panel you can pop out with a small flat screwdriver. Next, pull up on the window switch straight up, and that should pop out of the door armrest so you can unhook the electrical connector. Next lift straight up on the whole inner door panel and it should release after it comes up about an inch. Unclip the rods that connect the door handle to the latch mechanism so you can totally take off the inner door panel. From there, you should be able to access the latch mechanism. Not sure what you would have to do to release it, but I’m sure you can kind of figure out how it works once you see it.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will give it a go!! Appreciate you

lfhoward

Wheel. Repair. Repeat.
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I’ve replaced one of those door latch actuators before so that’s where I’m getting my info from. From my fuzzy memory! But at least in my case, the door wasn’t stuck closed. Wish you all the best of luck.