Thermostat housing leak suggestions on new thermostat, or temp rating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LFX1

Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed something on driveway under jeep, looked at it couldn't determine if it was old from another car. I started the jeep looked around checked stuff didn't see any leaks or drips. Then this AM, spot caught my eye it looked slightly bigger. So before I pulled out for work I let it run and bingo seen drip, figured probably that seal on water pump, shut it down checked that area no wetness but upon getting some cardboard out and laying down in my work closes while it was running I found spot. Thermostat mount was leaking ......dam. shut it down, took other car to work.

Never liked idea of this housing being plastic, but appears its the gasket leaking. Is everyone just using a gasket, RTV or combo of gasket and RTV or even Honda bond. Jeep is 2007 liberty, about 230k. Is anyone using anything special when doing this, any updated part, gasket or thermostat rated a specific temperature or just sticking with stock parts ?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Drain & Inspect housing first.
Probably best to replace the lower rad hose & use the correct Mopar thermostat, which has the built in gasket.

Attachments

• Thermostat KJ.jpg
    Thermostat KJ.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Thermostat install.jpg
    Thermostat install.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Thermostat KJ 1.jpg
    Thermostat KJ 1.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 5

LFX1

Reaction score
Drain & Inspect housing first.
Probably best to replace the lower rad hose & use the correct Mopar thermostat, which has the built in gasket.
Thanks, thinking may have done this a long time ago, heck had the Jeep since 08, was debating on that lower hose as well.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Use the mopar part number for the lower rad hose which is 55037912AA
It is reinforced & wont collapse.

Attachments

• Lower Rad Hose New.jpg
    Lower Rad Hose New.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 5