Timing chain tensioners have play?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you get chain rattle when it's hot

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ChainsawMonkey

Reaction score
Im not sure. New vehicle. Had a tick. So i removed the engine thinking it was a rod bearing. There all within spec. I am still replaceing them. But I found one of the tensioners could move and had play and one was solid. Looking for any issues before i put it back in. This motor has been the biggest pain to remove.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, the tensioners should be tight - but not stiff. The tensioner will be filled with oil on startup to keep it firm against the guides.

The V-clamps connecting the cats to the exhaust manifolds are definitely a pain. Once you get those disconnected and the ****** unbolted the engine should lift right out.

Bob

ChainsawMonkey

Reaction score
I think im going to change the tensioners just to be safe. I already had the motor out when I did this vid. I Just removed the engines with the cats on. The pita for me was the 14mm bolts behind the heads and the starter. Everything is so cramped in there. I have replaced 4.0s 5.2s 5.9s and a 305 and 350. This was the hardest. I took it out do to what I thought was a rod knock. But im having a hard time finding it. I found the rods can move side to side a little but not back and fourth or up and down I plastigaged them and the mains. mains came back good one rod bearing is out by the smallest. One of the main bearings had a small scratch and tiny pitting so im going to replace them and the rod bearings. So im just tinkering around trying to find the noise.

02 3.7 Rod Knock? - JeepForum.com

3.7l rod knock? plastigage bearings help. - JeepForum.com

ltd02 has been helping me along the way on the other forum. The advertising over there keeps killing my browser.

Members online