Weird horn issue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benibiker63

Reaction score
So I discovered my horn doesn't work on my 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited; when I press the steering wheel or when I set the alarm. I checked the fuse and it's blown, great, easy fix right? No, the fuse didn't fix it. I find the Liberty Service manual on this site so I follow the troubleshooting. Next thing to check is the horn relay behind the knee panel under the steering wheel. I notice it feels warm as I replace it. Sadly no fix. Time to shoot wires. I check ground at the horns, good. I check for power at the horns and there's a constant 12v. Strange, there's power but the horns aren't going off. I remove the fuse and power goes away. I take out the horns to check them and am instantly hit by a burnt electrical smell. I test both horns and they're dead, they've been fried! Ok, back to the problem with constant power at the horns. I check for continuity from the relay to the steering wheel, open, I press the steering wheel and still open! This is what would normally send ground to the horn relay to energize it and send power to the horns. I disconnect the battery to possibly reset another relay like in the Body Control Module, no fix. So I have several problems, the horns were fried, the horn relay is constantly energized and the steering wheel switch is dead (all other steering wheel functions work). I don't have a good enough wiring diagram to further shoot wires behind the relay so I decide I'm just pulling the fuse, leave it that way and rewire a whole new horn relay/wiring harness and bypass the short that's there somewhere. I got a premade horn harness from Amazon, bought two horns (high/low tone) from Amazon, used the original horn brackets and installed it all. Everything works great now with a little red button on the side.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: