Misfiring/Backfiring/Loss of Power/Something

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lilblkblt04

Reaction score
Hey all...

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4.

So heading out to Anza Borrego today, everythign is fine in the Jeep. Make it about 60 miles, go to pass somebody, Jeep starts backfiring and won't go above 55mph or shift. Check engine light starts flashing so I pull over.

The engine was shaking pretty bad and you could hear the sputtering coming out of the exhaust. Check engine light is still on, solid though not flashing. So I turn it off and disconnect the positive battery just to reset everything.

Start it back up, running a little better, light isn't on but still shaking abnormally. Start driving up and down this side road trying to get the light to come back on, no avail. Floor it and it starts backfiring and again wont go above 55mph.

So I take out all the plugs that go to the coils and blew them out a little and plugged them back in. No change.

What do you think could be wrong? Spark plugs have about 6k on them with no problem, I haven't changed anything in the past month on it and have gone on 100 mile trips with no problems.

The only difference is the gas. I got it at a gas station I normally don't go to and got it early in the morning.

Thanks in advanced.

Ryan

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good possibility is a Crankshaft Position Sensor going/gone south. Had a similar problem with my 03, except my max speed was 44. Left alone for 30 minutes or so it would appear to run ok and then shazam and it is doing it again. Of course it was on a Sunday, so Monday I limp into my wrench friends shop and he checks the codes and says he is betting on the CPS. He clears the codes and restarts, gets same code and is finally able to make the critter fail for good (hammer therapy). Good news is NAPA had the only one known of in South Central AK (even Lithia was out) and once the stubborn critter was removed and the new one put in and codes cleared again, she has been running fine. Miles now at 106800+ and I bought it new. Hope this might be of some help.

lilblkblt04

Reaction score
Well after machining the cylinders and replacing the spark plugs, valves and lifters they went for a test drive and it just completely died in the middle of the road.

Looked at it some more and said there was gas in the CAT and muffler, fixxed that and the same thing happened.

Now they are putting a entirely new engine in there from the pan up.

Ryan

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
mine did that one day almost got me killed it did it on one of the busiest highways in my area and it died in the middle of the road before i could pull off, luckily i was right in front of an advance autoparts and got it started again and pulled in there and they put the checker thing on it and it said coil #6 was messed up so i bought one there changed it and it was fine so might try gettin it put on that computer thing