TPM Module (Not the tire sensor)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HatterMT

Reaction score
Hello all, since I've owned my Jeep the tire "bad sensor" message has been on. I know all my sensors are good, I've had them checked. When I check the menu all 4 tires report air pressure and are accurate. The tire shop has retrained all 5.

When I run the diagnostic (post #1 here https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/bad-missing-tpms-sensor.47482/) the 4 rolling tires report but not the spare, ever. I can swap the spare into rotation and the Jeep recognizes that but then the tire that was swaped out (now the spare) does not report according to the EVIC.

I believe the issue to be the TPM module AKA transceiver. Does anyone have a part number or location for the module that would read the spare tire?

I know a lot of people just ignore it, I have been and I have black tape over the dash light. It still bugs me that I can't find the answer.

Any help would be great!

2004 KJ Limited, Stock all around

HatterMT

Reaction score
Thanks for your time LibertyTC, I couldn’t find it there either. I’ve seen them in parts lists for other Jeeps. Just not this one.
I think the dealership is my best bet so I don’t shotgun solutions!

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

this may be a clue:

i’ve been searching for who to talk to at the dealership to get my pin codes for skim.

came across a thread on lostjeeps.com searching for pin code with google advanced search.

anyway, tpm lives in the skim module. See this below.
You must be registered for see images attach

3-LIB3RTYS-3

Reaction score
Hello All,

Looking to tag onto this thread.
I have had a TPMS light on my 2004 Liberty 3.7L Limited since I bought it in Mar 2022. I took to the dealership while it was getting a recall done and asked them to look into it. They informed me I need 5 new sensors and a new TPS Module. The dealership wanted to charge me $1490.70 for 5 sensors, module and labor.

I saw the diagnostic codes above and after attempting the diagnostics, I don't believe the sensors are to blame.

First attempt:

LF 5 RF 5
LR 5 RR 5
Spare 0

Second attempt swapped spare with RF:

LF 0 RF 4
LR 4 RR 4
Spare 0

Not sure why the difference but drove the same distance.. Maybe different speeds? Also not sure after I switched the tire why LF didn't report at all.

Third attempt (reverted back to first attempt configuration:

LF 4 RF 5
LR 5 RR 5
Spare 0

Each time the tire light was still on and the sensors were reporting. I believe the module may be to blame but will have my mechanic attempt the clearing of the TPM system as DadOSix mentioned in previous post.

Any other suggestions or thoughts?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't have any good answers, but I know when the batteries were getting low in my TPM sensors on my 04, the light would be on but they were still reporting. During the winter, they would quit reading but when it was warm out, they would start reading again but the light remained on. I 'think' the overhead would say bad TPM sensor even when they were reading.

Ive never tried the test, so idk what they were doing as far as counts. Ive got to wonder how often the spare sends a count. I imagine the sensors in the tire send counts when the tire is spinning.

3-LIB3RTYS-3

Reaction score
Don't have any good answers, but I know when the batteries were getting low in my TPM sensors on my 04, the light would be on but they were still reporting. During the winter, they would quit reading but when it was warm out, they would start reading again but the light remained on. I 'think' the overhead would say bad TPM sensor even when they were reading.

Ive never tried the test, so idk what they were doing as far as counts. Ive got to wonder how often the spare sends a count. I imagine the sensors in the tire send counts when the tire is spinning.

Regarding the spare reporting, that was my assumption which is why I swapped the spare with another and drove again to test. Each time, the spare did not read.

As far as the batteries being low, I am not sure how to check those or if they are replaceable without replacing the whole sensor. Cheapest I have found is roughly $30 each. $150 plus labor, I'm not sure if I want to attempt that.

I will try one last attempt before going that route of having my mechanic Reset learned options and see if that fixes the issue. If not, perhaps the sensors will be the next attempt.

I simply hate having lights on. I know the TPMS is one that I can live with being on, just depends on how much I can outlast my OCD.

Reactions: klc

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
I got roughly 10 years out of my van's TPMS sensors. YMMV, but they could be toast if originals. Discount Tire or any major tire seller has a tester for them. And it's free.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding the spare reporting, that was my assumption which is why I swapped the spare with another and drove again to test. Each time, the spare did not read.

As far as the batteries being low, I am not sure how to check those or if they are replaceable without replacing the whole sensor. Cheapest I have found is roughly $30 each. $150 plus labor, I'm not sure if I want to attempt that.

I will try one last attempt before going that route of having my mechanic Reset learned options and see if that fixes the issue. If not, perhaps the sensors will be the next attempt.

I simply hate having lights on. I know the TPMS is one that I can live with being on, just depends on how much I can outlast my OCD.
I hear you there. I spent beaucoup $ to make that light go out.