07 Liberty brake lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmcfarlan

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Jeep Liberty, and the rear brake lights have a short. I have replace the drivers side taillight assemble, and replaced bulbs, and the brake light on the driver side does not work. I can slap the taillight assembly and the brake light will work, until I drive and hit a bump, and then it goes out. Also sometimes the passenger side brake light will not work, and then a day later it will be fine. I have no idea where to look.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spray all electical connections with contact cleaner or wd 40 and try again. Easy stuff first.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Jeep Liberty, and the rear brake lights have a short. I have replace the drivers side taillight assemble, and replaced bulbs, and the brake light on the driver side does not work. I can slap the taillight assembly and the brake light will work, until I drive and hit a bump, and then it goes out. Also sometimes the passenger side brake light will not work, and then a day later it will be fine. I have no idea where to look.

If you have a short then you will blow fuses. What you have is a loose/corroded connection.
It is very common on these KJs that the earthing for the tailight assembies go bad so although the +12 volts is getting to the bulb, the earth is not there.
I would suggest, as I have previously regarding this problem, that you add a short piece of wire to the earth point on the bulb assembly and locate the other end to a cleaned off chassis point; best is to drill a small hole into the metal bodywork inside the tailight assembly...clean the paint off and attach your new earth wire there.

Before you do that though I would suggest that you check your existing earth wire on the new assembly you put on....the fact that the brake light comes ON/OFF when you slap that area would indicate that the problem is right there...you may need to clean and tighten the earth lead at the bulb assembly.