Really bad sound, is it the transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tech.nik

Reaction score
Hi everybody

I am new to the forum, I had a look and didn’t find anything that could help me with my issue. I have a Jeep KJ 3.7 V6 automatic 2005, from Switzerland.

My engine started making weird noises when revving a couple of weeks ago, but it was intermittent so sometimes it would make noises and sometimes not.
Yesterday I started the car and was about to enter the highway and the car was not pulling, so the engine was perfectly working but it would not go into any gear. At some point it managed to go into first gear and then was basically going in and off the gears every 2 minutes.
So I parked the car and today I started it again and it makes this bad noise (
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
).

Do you guys think it’s the torque converter or maybe the shift solenoide?

Regards,
Nikola

Tech.nik

Reaction score
That sounds awful! What does the oil look like?
It’s pretty dark, and it’s way above the hot dots but the car is parked slightly downhill.

I bought the car 10k km ago, the service was done but idk when was the last transmission oil change

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My goodness that is quite the noises present there :eek:
Time to drop the transmission pan & inspect filter, see if there is any particulate matter in pan.
Use ATF+ fluid. May consider a trans shop that can read any pending or stored codes as well. Best of luck.

Members online