2004 Jeep kj 2.8 crd EGR Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geralt

Reaction score
Hi.

This is my first post. I have 2003 2.8 crd KJ and just for clarification:
Billwill, you are speaking about those hoses circled red
You must be registered for see images attach
Hi,
Where do these pipes go? I only have one connected.
Thanks

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 2 different systems, the earlier Jeeps with a waste gate controlled turbo and the later jeeps with a VNT.
I haven't worked on the later system, both of mine are the earlier type. The 2 hoses on the solenoid are a supply from the vacuum pump and a vacuum line to the EGR valve, the solenoid just switches the vacuum supply to the EGR when the ECU signals it.
If you have the earlier style then the EGR is very simple, the ECU can't see if it works or not so removing the hose and plugging it so the vacuum can't reach the actuator stops the EGR from functioning and the waste gate regulates boost as normal.
The later VNT cars have an air mass flow sensor that allows the ECU to see a drop in airflow when the EGR is active, if you disable it it will put the engine management light on. Also I have read that the ECU uses the EGR to bleed pressure in the event of an overboost situation to prevent turbo stall so disconnecting it might be a bad idea, however it can still be mapped out so it only carries out the overboost function.
I suppose you could put an adjustable dump valve in the intercooler pipework to cap the boost pressure to a sensible level.

Last edited:

Geralt

Reaction score
Thanks KJowner.
I found it, the pipe was disconnected, I put it back in place.
I plugged it.