2006 CRD Liberty in Chicago

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyChicago

Reaction score
I bought this jeep about a year ago. Generally solid, some rust on the doors, but mechanically it was inspected by a dealer when I bought it and everything is in good shape. 130k miles. I had a '99 Jeep Cherokee until 2015, and it seemed like the car interior wore down while the engine was still going strong. Same here--the diesel is a lot of fun to drive and this has a nice package with the leather seats and infotainment screen. I'm not great as a mechanic, but working on watching some youtube videos and fix some of the little odds and ends.

Things I've fixed so far:
--Rear trunk strut--this was about $20 on amazon and it is so much nicer when the glass doesn't keep falling.
--Butterfly bolt to bolt on the front yellow blinker--the screw in piece had fallen out
--Long pipe cleaners to clean the sun roof drains so they don't leak when it rains--that was on another post in the forum. Real nice.
--Had a hole in the exhaust repaired.
--Changed some bulbs and re-aligned the glove box.

Things that probably need to be fixed:
--Rear wiper doesn't work
--Rust spots on body (learning some home rust spot repair/repaint--don't judge)
--Maybe some bolt on rocker panel guards
--Por15 and paint the underside with bedliner or something tough
--Find the plug in block warmer. Didn't need it last winter but it probably would have helped on a couple of days.

There is also an issue that it is rough the first couple of times braking after it starts up, more when it is cold outside. It seems like the transmission doesn't completely disengage when the braking happens (like the torque converter doesn't kick in fast enough at least as I imagine) so it bucks a little. It is hard to check the transmission fluid on the dipstick, but it is up to a couple of the dots on the stick. Not sure if this is a jeep/diesel engine thing or something that will eventually need to be fixed. The rest of the transmission seems fine, no slipping or anything.

Great forum here, lots of good advice about how to fix a lot of common problems. I'll do some of my homedone body work practice and post some pictures!

Attachments

• IMG20240623204230.jpg
    IMG20240623204230.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG20240406153429.jpg
    IMG20240406153429.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG20240623204023.jpg
    IMG20240623204023.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 4

ccg2301

Reaction score
Nice Jeep, love the colour, glad to have another CRD owner on the forum, its a great place to find lots of useful information and help with issues as you've found out already. Happy Jeeping.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds nice, has the cam belt been done? Worth getting it done if not.
Transmission oil and filter change may help with your gearbox issue. They do hold gears longer when cold normally.

Latest posts

Members online