2006 Jeep Liberty (42RLE) 3.7V (gasoline): Reverse not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jutux

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I hope someone can help me with troubleshooting the shifting issues I am having with my 2006 Jeep Liberty (42RLE) 3.7V (gasoline), which has 112,057 Kilometers (not on millage), only.

A few days ago, I was driving the KJ as usual until I tried to do a parallel parking. For some reason, the KJ's reverse stopped working. At first, the KJ started shaking while slowly reversing, it felt like the rear wheels got locked, and then it did not reverse at all. Twice, I tried gassing the accelerator pedal but nothing happened. Fortunately, the drive gear worked fine so I was able to head back home.

Yesterday, I did the transmission fluid/filter service, the fluid level was fine and the viscosity of the fluid was OK too. The transmission's oil pan and magnet were not too bad either, it contained metal shaving that I would expect from the wear and tear, but I also spotted a fragment attached to the magnet that was not too big either (see the attached shot). Anyways, after the transmission fluid/filter service was done, the KJ still does not reverse. Ough!!!!

Here are a few things I noticed:
** If I try to push the KJ while the engine is idling and the shifter is set to Neutral, the KJ goes nowhere. Somehow the rear wheels are getting locked. What???
** If I change the selector position (shifter) while pressing the break, I hear the switch/whine electronic noise. This noise comes when I switch between the D and R gears. Maybe something is wrong with the selenoid pack?
** P, D, 2, 1 shifts are working fine
** No warning/error lights on the dashboard
** The ODB2 scanner does not prompt any error codes. Analyzed with an Innova scanner. Sorry guys it is what I got... :/
** Removed for 20 minutes the EATX relay, but the reset did not help
** Swapped wipers with EATX relay, but it did not help. The wipers work fine with either relay.
** Disconnected the battery for 20 minutes did not help either.

During this weekend, I am planning to do the following procedure:
** Remove the rear drive shaft
** Jack the front of the KJ so the wheels can move freely
** Set the KJ on 4x4
** Set the shifter on Reverse (R)
** Rav the engine and see if the front wheels move backword
**** If the front wheels reverse, I will be dealing with a differential-related issue?
**** If the front wheels do not reverse, I will be dealing with a transmission-related issue (solenoid pack or the reverse clutch)?

I am not a mechanic, but I can get things done if a follow the instructions. However, I am do not know how to troubleshoot this shifting problem I am dealing with.

Perhaps, I am dealing with a TCM issue?

What do you guys think, any ideas?

Any recommendation is more than welcome.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    356 KB · Views: 17
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.
I would recommend that you find a transmission shop that can read the stored or pending codes. A Snap On Modis Ultra scanner is best.
Photo 2 broken piece eek. There is a lot of filings shown as well.
Do you have a transmission shop close to you?

jutux

Reaction score
Hi @LibertyTC

I already took the Jeep to two different shops and they cannot find any issues with it. One transmission guy told me he can do a transmission overhaul for around 5K, ouch!

The really strange part is that the car goes on parking mode whenever I put it on Neutral, which makes no sense.

Next week, I will have another local guy to look into possible transmission codes, I will update the findings!

By the way, I put 3.5 Qt of Mopar ATF +4 transmission fluid after replacing the transmission fluid and gasket. When the Jeeps is cold (around 72F or 22C environmental temperature), the transmission fluid level stays on the second circle of the cold mark shown in the dipstick, which I think is perfect. However, once the car's engine warms up (around 190F or 90C) the dipstick level shows nothing (dry). I am checking the fluid level while the engine is Idling on neutral and parking break.

Here is the reading that I should have based on the KJ Service manual
You must be registered for see images attach

Per KJ Service Manual: "If only fluid and filter were changed, add 6 pints (3 quarts) of ATF +4 to transmission."

As I mentioned, I have already 3.5 quarts, and I do not want to over fill it. However, as the dipstick comes dry when the engine is wormed up at normal temperature, I think I should be adding more fluid. What do you think?

Many thanks!

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The Jeep should be driven for 15 minutes continuously & then check the level on the dipstick, on level ground. Add some if it appears dry.
I'm confused when you mentioned goes into a parking mode whenever you put it on Neutral, which makes no sense.
What hapens when you place it into neutral? It goes into park? If so it could be the shift lock cable?

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Jeep should be driven for 15 minutes continuously & then check the level on the dipstick, on level ground. Add some if it appears dry.
I'm confused when you mentioned goes into a parking mode whenever you put it on Neutral, which makes no sense.
What hapens when you place it into neutral? It goes into park? If so it could be the shift lock cable?
I totally did not think about the shift cable. It might tie in nicely with the ‘can’t move the jeep in Neutral.

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you might have a reverse clutch issue - the shudder, then loss of reverse, and the pan magnet point to a failed clutch pack. Might be time for a rebuild.

jutux

Reaction score
Hi @LibertyTC and @DadOSix

About not moving when Gear Shifter on Neutral:
*** If I turn the ignition ON and put the Gear Shifter on Neutral, the KJ will not move at all even if I try to push it from the front or back bumpers.
*** If I turn the ignition OFF, while leaving the Gear Shifter on N, the KJ will move if I push it from the front or back bumpers.

On the other hand, I will inspect the shift cable bushings (gear shifter and transfer case ends). Perhaps, they worn out. If this is the case, I will replace the bushes with those sold on www.bushingfix.com. Otherwise, I will look into replacing the "Gearshift Control Cable" (Mopar 52109781AF).

Lastly, one more question about the transmission fluid level, please look at the pictures I shared:
*** If I check the fluid at ground level before starting the car (in the morning), the dipstick shows decent level of fluid (Cold_1.jpeg and Cold_2.jpeg shots).
*** If I run the engine for about 15 minutes (until the engine reaches operational temperature), the dipstick shows no fluid marks (Hot_1.jpeg and Hot_2.jpeg shots).
What are your thoughts here??
Please considere that I have already added around 4QT of fluid and I do not want to overfill it. Per KJ Service Manual: "If only fluid and filter were changed, add 6 pints (3 quarts) of ATF +4 to transmission." (see SM_Transmission_fill_procedure.jpg file)

Many thanks!

Attachments

• Cold_1.jpeg
    Cold_1.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Cold_2.jpeg
    Cold_2.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Hot_1.jpeg
    Hot_1.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Hot_2.jpeg
    Hot_2.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 3
  • SM_Transmission_fill_procedure.jpg
    SM_Transmission_fill_procedure.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 3

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi @LibertyTC and @DadOSix

About not moving when Gear Shifter on Neutral:
*** If I turn the ignition ON and put the Gear Shifter on Neutral, the KJ will not move at all even if I try to push it from the front or back bumpers.
*** If I turn the ignition OFF, while leaving the Gear Shifter on N, the KJ will move if I push it from the front or back bumpers.

On the other hand, I will inspect the shift cable bushings (gear shifter and transfer case ends). Perhaps, they worn out. If this is the case, I will replace the bushes with those sold on www.bushingfix.com. Otherwise, I will look into replacing the "Gearshift Control Cable" (Mopar 52109781AF).

Lastly, one more question about the transmission fluid level, please look at the pictures I shared:
*** If I check the fluid at ground level before starting the car (in the morning), the dipstick shows decent level of fluid (Cold_1.jpeg and Cold_2.jpeg shots).
*** If I run the engine for about 15 minutes (until the engine reaches operational temperature), the dipstick shows no fluid marks (Hot_1.jpeg and Hot_2.jpeg shots).
What are your thoughts here??
Please considere that I have already added around 4QT of fluid and I do not want to overfill it. Per KJ Service Manual: "If only fluid and filter were changed, add 6 pints (3 quarts) of ATF +4 to transmission." (see SM_Transmission_fill_procedure.jpg file)

Many thanks!
When you say with the ignition on you can't move the vehicle - is that with the engine running? If it is then you have internal transmission issues - it won't be a cable issue.

Gerhard Loedolff

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I hope someone can help me with troubleshooting the shifting issues I am having with my 2006 Jeep Liberty (42RLE) 3.7V (gasoline), which has 112,057 Kilometers (not on millage), only.

A few days ago, I was driving the KJ as usual until I tried to do a parallel parking. For some reason, the KJ's reverse stopped working. At first, the KJ started shaking while slowly reversing, it felt like the rear wheels got locked, and then it did not reverse at all. Twice, I tried gassing the accelerator pedal but nothing happened. Fortunately, the drive gear worked fine so I was able to head back home.

Yesterday, I did the transmission fluid/filter service, the fluid level was fine and the viscosity of the fluid was OK too. The transmission's oil pan and magnet were not too bad either, it contained metal shaving that I would expect from the wear and tear, but I also spotted a fragment attached to the magnet that was not too big either (see the attached shot). Anyways, after the transmission fluid/filter service was done, the KJ still does not reverse. Ough!!!!

Here are a few things I noticed:
** If I try to push the KJ while the engine is idling and the shifter is set to Neutral, the KJ goes nowhere. Somehow the rear wheels are getting locked. What???
** If I change the selector position (shifter) while pressing the break, I hear the switch/whine electronic noise. This noise comes when I switch between the D and R gears. Maybe something is wrong with the selenoid pack?
** P, D, 2, 1 shifts are working fine
** No warning/error lights on the dashboard
** The ODB2 scanner does not prompt any error codes. Analyzed with an Innova scanner. Sorry guys it is what I got... :/
** Removed for 20 minutes the EATX relay, but the reset did not help
** Swapped wipers with EATX relay, but it did not help. The wipers work fine with either relay.
** Disconnected the battery for 20 minutes did not help either.

During this weekend, I am planning to do the following procedure:
** Remove the rear drive shaft
** Jack the front of the KJ so the wheels can move freely
** Set the KJ on 4x4
** Set the shifter on Reverse (R)
** Rav the engine and see if the front wheels move backword
**** If the front wheels reverse, I will be dealing with a differential-related issue?
**** If the front wheels do not reverse, I will be dealing with a transmission-related issue (solenoid pack or the reverse clutch)?

I am not a mechanic, but I can get things done if a follow the instructions. However, I am do not know how to troubleshoot this shifting problem I am dealing with.

Perhaps, I am dealing with a TCM issue?

What do you guys think, any ideas?

Any recommendation is more than welcome.

Many thanks!
Hi. Sorry to hear of all you troubles. I have 2004 3.7 and have foubd that sometimes after having used 4 wheel drive that the drivetrain seems to wind up, and cannot reverse. It is as if the transfer box does not fully disengage. Couple of shifts up and down the 4 wheel drive select lever then seems to release if gently rocket with sympathetic fuel just to feel if it will move. Might be related to you issue.
Good luck.
Gerhard