3.7 idle and stalling issue. Yes. Another one…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigbillyboy

Reaction score
Ok. I have a 2005 liberty sport with the 3.7. Got it cheap from the po, because he didn’t use it and was tired of paying a shop to chase this issue. It was clean and straight, so I thought “what the hell”. I have read about 1000 different threads here and elsewhere.
What happens is: jeep starts easily. Runs like a champ, shifts perfectly, idles between 600 and 850, until it dies. RPM just drops then dies at idle, unless you’re driving. Then it has an abrupt miss, and will stumble along until it runs perfectly again. Sometimes it goes days in between happening, sometimes it happens once, sometimes I fight it all day. Rpm, throttle position and load don’t seem to make any difference. It happens at all of them.

When I picked it up, the previous shop had changed everything except the MAP sensor. Including the PCM. It’s obvious because they were all new.

I drove it and experienced this, at first no codes, but then p300 and TPS code. Following the advice of the forum, I replaced tps with with mopar. Drove again, very well, felt a couple of misses, no code. Let it idle and after a few min it just died. This time cam position sensor. Replaced with Mopar. Also replaced crank position sensor with mopar. Problem continued. No change. P300 code and tps code

This time I pulled throttle body and cleaned it. IAC was new, bench tested it and it worked.

QUESTION 1- should the IAC seal completely when closed. I can still get some air flowing through it by blowing or sucking through it. Not a mopar part.

While I was cleaning throttle body, I cleaned and rechecked all grounds. They seemed good. I also replaced an old battery. Checked fuel pressure, stable at 55-57 idle or under a load, and virtually no bleed off with key off. While waiting for new coils and plugs (OEM), I drove around with the scanner plugged in and watched live data. All sensors seemed to be working as normal with no observed irregularities when it would stall or stutter. Checked for vacuum leaks. None discovered. Installed new OE coils and properly gapped plugs. Replaced ASD relay at this time and checked for circuit continuity from sensors to PCM. All good. Wiggled every conceivable connector, wire, and ground with no affect. Cleaned MAP sensor even though it seems to read correctly and never had map sensor code.

Symptoms described above persist. Most of the time no code, but sometime TPS or camshaft error occur with the p300 code.

Drove around with scanner attached and noticed no abnormalities. Never had an O2 code.

QUESTION #2- Can a map sensor fail but not throw a code or read noticeable off?

I’m stumped. I like the little jeep and have time to mess around with it, but I’m not sure what to do next.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Jason

Last edited:

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only answer question 2. Yes, a map sensor can fail without throwing codes. It happens to my kj 2007 , it was partially broken, no check engine lights no codes on scanner.
Have you check the Jeep iagnosis chart referent to p0300 and tps code?

Bigbillyboy

Reaction score
This seems to have fixed the above problem as it has been over 2 weeks with none of any of the indications returning:

In my case, it turned out to be failing upstream O2 sensor. The big clue was was that I had a slightly wandering idle when it was running “good”. After reading a lot of forum posts here and unrelated forums, I started by thoroughly checking the fuel system, including driving around with a fuel pressure gauge attached. Pulled and cleaned injectors, checked injector wiring thoroughly. Still had the intermittent problem. I eventually unplugged the upstream o2 sensors, and bam. Symptoms disappeared. Replaced both upstream sensors with OEM, been driving daily since and it’s never run better. Not even a hiccup. Rock solid idle.

Hope someday this helps someone.

Last edited:

lfhoward

Wheel. Repair. Repeat.
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you found the issue! Thanks for reporting back. I'm sure someone will read this in the future and it will help them out.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had similar issues in years prior. Somewhere between replacing O2 sensor, crank sensor (lower passenger side), and spark plugs it hasn't re-occurred.