AC refrigerant leaking from black tube after being charged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hooksaw

Reaction score
I just replaced the compressor, the low pressure line and the condenser. After vacuuming, the system and the vacuum holding, we charge the system and the clutch was engaging. And AC cool air was flowing. Then after about 20 minutes, it stopped working and noticed refrigerant. Was leaking from a black tube along the firewall back wall. Any reason why that is happening

Attachments

• IMG_6673.jpeg
    IMG_6673.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6672.jpeg
    IMG_6672.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 16

Hooksaw

Reaction score
That is the AC condensation drip hose.
It is normal for it to drip during AC use.It is water not refrigerant.

Gyro
Thanks for your response. Yes normal it should be water. But I added refrigerant with the dye in it and it is clearly refrigerant that is leaking from here. However, further research, I think the black tube maybe part of the evaporator core and maybe the evaporator core needs to be replaced. thoughts

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Evaporator or pipework leaking I'm afraid. Dashboard out again! Maybe a faulty part.

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, thats a bad day.

Everyone talks about how horrible removing the dash is but honestly, its just time consuming, its not hard. Ive replaced the evap in three Jeeps, no biggie.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, as I’ve done a heater core on mine. Not really a pain. Sort of therapeutic if building things out of Legos is a way you relax.

Hooksaw

Reaction score
Evaporator or pipework leaking I'm afraid. Dashboard out again! Maybe a faulty part.
i have a question or thought before i go down the route of replacing the evaporator. Before I replaced the compressor, condenser and the AC line (low pressure). The auto shop did not say anything about the evaporator. They said the leak was in the AC liquid line, which is my i replaced it. if you recall from above, after we replaced it and vaccumed the system and it held for 15-30 minutes. To me i meant things were good. Then we charged the system and then that's when we started seeing non water come out of the drain of the evap/heater box. I thought it was refrigerant but now i think it was AC oil. my question or thought was, if we didn't connect the AC line back to the evaporator correctly, could oil come from there and that may be the issue. again just a thought.. if i have time today, i will get a flashlight in there and see if oil is coming from the connection.. thanks for the help

Hooksaw

Reaction score
i have a question or thought before i go down the route of replacing the evaporator. Before I replaced the compressor, condenser and the AC line (low pressure). The auto shop did not say anything about the evaporator. They said the leak was in the AC liquid line, which is my i replaced it. if you recall from above, after we replaced it and vaccumed the system and it held for 15-30 minutes. To me i meant things were good. Then we charged the system and then that's when we started seeing non water come out of the drain of the evap/heater box. I thought it was refrigerant but now i think it was AC oil. my question or thought was, if we didn't connect the AC line back to the evaporator correctly, could oil come from there and that may be the issue. again just a thought.. if i have time today, i will get a flashlight in there and see if oil is coming from the connection.. thanks for the help
True, as I’ve done a heater core on mine. Not really a pain. Sort of therapeutic if building things out of Legos is a way you relax.

Hooksaw

Reaction score
Dang, thats a bad day.

Everyone talks about how horrible removing the dash is but honestly, its just time consuming, its not hard. Ive replaced the evap in three Jeeps, no biggie.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mentioned your AC had dye put into it. That stuff is Ghostbusters green, if that’s the color of liquid you’re seeing coming out the tube. Or at least that’s what was coming from my compressor when it needed replacing.

Hooksaw

Reaction score
You mentioned your AC had dye put into it. That stuff is Ghostbusters green, if that’s the color of liquid you’re seeing coming out the tube. Or at least that’s what was coming from my compressor when it needed replacing.
Yes, i put the dye in it. I have a black light ordered and coming tonight. I hope to trace it and find the leaks. again, everything I have read it stuff is coming out of that tube and nowhere else, it is probably the evaporator core .. :(

Hooksaw

Reaction score

Hooksaw

Reaction score
i got my black light last night and shined it all over the AC components under the hood, not seeing any significant as far as leaks. I did see some dye, but i think that was when I was replacing it. After I wiped it down, the green glow went away. However, when I shine by the evaporator drain tube, it is lights up all green. So would you agree there is a leak in the evaporator and that needs replaced?

Hooksaw

Reaction score
Dang, thats a bad day.

Good day,
Would you happen to have details or step by step instructions on removing the dashboard or know of any links you can refer me to. My evaporator and heater core will be in tomorrow and will plan to start on the sooner side. Thanks

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one for the KK but it is different than the KJ. Google “Jeep Liberty Heater Core Replacement” and YouTube and I am sure you will find several walk-throughs for the KJ. I know you’re doing an evaporator but the heater core is more common and the dash disassemble would be the same.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the compressor, the low pressure line and the condenser. After vacuuming, the system and the vacuum holding, we charge the system and the clutch was engaging. And AC cool air was flowing. Then after about 20 minutes, it stopped working and noticed refrigerant. Was leaking from a black tube along the firewall back wall. Any reason why that is happening
Where does this hose belong? I found it in my yard and wondered what it was...must have come off pulling my trailer.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good day,
Would you happen to have details or step by step instructions on removing the dashboard or know of any links you can refer me to. My evaporator and heater core will be in tomorrow and will plan to start on the sooner side. Thanks
I used the articles on this forum in the How To. I recommend zip lock bags and a marker. When I remove a "type A" screw, I wrote "A" next to the hole on the dash.