Buying a 2002 - need advice on issues and what to look for

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

troverman

Reaction score
I looked at a 2002 Liberty 3.7 auto 4x4 yesterday with 130k miles on it. Good price, in decent shape, underside seems clean. It drove down the road pretty well, smooth shifts, smooth engine, heat and air work, all windows, locks, mirrors, radio, etc work.

I'm new to these Jeeps, but not new to working on vehicles. What should I look for? A couple of issues I noticed yesterday...the "Part time" 4x4 light is on despite the lever being in 2WD. I'm guessing some kind of sensor switch that turns the light on failed? How expensive and easy to change?

Also, some type of light-colored fluid seems to be leaking on or near the driver's side front CV axle. Not grease from the CV joint itself, probably something leaking down from above. Almost seemed like it could be coolant, but not sure where it would be coming from.

Lastly, there is some kind of a clunk sound coming from the rear when driving over bumps.

However, driving down the highway at 50 or 60 the Jeep is smooth.

$3k is the asking price.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Clunks over bumps would be from suspension more than likely with that amount of miles you're probably an inch or lower than stock with springs stacking/shocks worn out
measure from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare in front, being an 02 you would of been at 19.75 or so when new ( if built before 4/12/02 ) after that date around 19
Check the rear boot on the front driveshaft, bet its gone by now if it hasn't been replace ( easy and cheap fix)
Check radiator drivers side top for leaks
Oil sending unit above oil filter will leak at times as well as passenger side valve cover
Transfer case light is fairly easy to replace, mines comes and goes, been that way for 2-3 years now.

KodiakKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check around the high mount brake light for any signs of rust. The window regulators also are a weak link. They are made mostly out of plastic.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Window regulators are more of a 'thing' in 2005-2006 model years, IIRC. Not so much in the early years.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transfer Case Position Sensor is a quick fix (but requires a little bit of patience and a little bit of good maneuvering) , $50 part. You could also just leave it malfunctioning, but it will eventually throw a CEL at you.

Leak sounds like coolant. Like Tom said, check the top driver's side corner of the radiator for a leak. VERY common in these things.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Other than that, good things are mentioned above.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07's suffer from the Window Regulators as well. Having already seen previous repair records for regulators done by a Dealership in Germany and of course already replacing three in the 9 months I've owned it.