Can I Fit ANY 4.10 Gears by Just Adding ANY Steel Dana 30 Carrier into the Dana 30a “Super”?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ggrjordan

Reaction score
Hi, guys. First time posting here. Just like I wrote in the title.

1. I want to regear to 4.10 but since I can’t find the specific Dana 30a ring and pinion set, questions arose. Could I get away with this?

2. Also, I see some of them with the tag “tall carrier case” while others don’t say it. Are they different? Which one should I get?

3. If I can get away with this, will the master install kit for the front Dana 30a super fit both the standard Dana 30 and standard 4.10 gear set?

Can’t wait to regear. I’m averaging 15.5mpg on hilly highways. Thats with mud terrains that weigh around 50lbs each, wheel included, and a 140lbs rooftop tent. All maintenance done.

Thanks!
———————————————
Liberty KJ 2002 3.7 Limited.
Tow Package.
1.5in Ironman Lift Kit.
245/75/16 Mud Terrains
Speedo and Wheel Ratio Calibrated.
45RFE Transmission.

Last edited:

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, only JBA Offroad was making a steel carrier, which he no longer does...

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pinion gear is the difference. You cannot put a 30 pinion into a 30a. Search on car‐part.com. I found mine by looking for a transmission for the 4cyl knowing if I found a transmission they must have the vehicle it came out of. After I found a few I found some potential candidates made a few calls and a 4 hour drive later I had axles with 4.10s. They're out there, just not easy to find.

EagleKJ

Lurking member
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys. First time posting here. Just like I wrote in the title.

1. I want to regear to 4.10 but since I can’t find the specific Dana 30a ring and pinion set, questions arose. Could I get away with this?

2. Also, I see some of them with the tag “tall carrier case” while others don’t say it. Are they different? Which one should I get?

3. If I can get away with this, will the master install kit for the front Dana 30a super fit both the standard Dana 30 and standard 4.10 gear set?

Can’t wait to regear. I’m averaging 15.5mpg on hilly highways. Thats with mud terrains that weigh around 50lbs each, wheel included, and a 140lbs rooftop tent. All maintenance done.

Thanks!
———————————————
Liberty KJ 2002 3.7 Limited.
Tow Package.
1.5in Ironman Lift Kit.
245/75/16 Mud Terrains
Speedo and Wheel Ratio Calibrated.
45RFE Transmission.
I have a set for sale on ebay with the install kit. Or if you message me maybe we can work something out. I have them up on marketplace too. I am in Toledo as far as shipping goes.

ggrjordan

Reaction score
As far as I know, only JBA Offroad was making a steel carrier, which he no longer does...
I saw a few steel carriers on RockAuto labeled Dana 30 under the liberty section. So maybe any of those would work, then? Since they’re steel?

ggrjordan

Reaction score
As far as I know, only JBA Offroad was making a steel carrier, which he no longer doe
I saw a few steel carriers on RockAuto labeled Dana 30 under the liberty section. So maybe any of those would work, then? Since they’re steel?

I have a set for sale on ebay with the install kit. Or if you message me maybe we can work something out. I have them up on marketplace too. I am in Toledo as far as shipping goes.
I’m interested .

ggrjordan

Reaction score
I know I can’t fit regular 4.10 gears into the Dana 30a super. My question is if by installing a regular Dana 30 steel carrier such as the ones offered on RockAuto, could I then install regular dana 30 4.10 gears. And also if said Dana 30 steel carrier can even fit in the Dana 30a super?

Thanks again for your replies.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I can’t fit regular 4.10 gears into the Dana 30a super. My question is if by installing a regular Dana 30 steel carrier such as the ones offered on RockAuto, could I then install regular dana 30 4.10 gears. And also if said Dana 30 steel carrier can even fit in the Dana 30a super?

I don't think you can put 30 bits in a 30a, there is a guy on here building a steel 30 front from a modified rear, he's put lots of information on.

EagleKJ

Lurking member
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

No the dana 30a gears and parts are the only that fit in the jeep liberty dana 30a. And they only made up to 4.10s of those. SAS is the only other option for the front which requires alot of modification and fabrication. I looked into all this when I installed 4.10s in mine.