Coil packs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepKJ_Guy

Reaction score
I used NGK plugs gaped at .040 and put in new Denso Ignition coils and fixed mine, replaced sensors on the throttle body, IAC, TPS, PCV, etc - she runs fine, did this about 9 months ago, for 2003 Sport Liberty V6.

Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Denso-673-5300-Direct-Ignition-Coil/dp/B01KHLJNRC

Bought all on Amazon, - have used Denso stuff since the 60's and ZERO problems.

Mopar is way overprced.

JeanO-Mac

Reaction score
Mopar 56028138af

These jeeps do not always like AutoZone stuff, but the 6 pack of duralasts cleared codes on my Jeep and have performed great.
Did you notice an increase in power after replacing the coil packs?

JeanO-Mac

Reaction score

JeanO-Mac

Reaction score
Mopar 56028138af

These jeeps do not always like AutoZone stuff, but the 6 pack of duralasts cleared codes on my Jeep and have performed great.
Mopar 56028138af

JeanO-Mac

Reaction score
I used NGK plugs gaped at .040 and put in new Denso Ignition coils and fixed mine, replaced sensors on the throttle body, IAC, TPS, PCV, etc - she runs fine, did this about 9 months ago, for 2003 Sport Liberty V6.

Amazon link:

Bought all on Amazon, - have used Denso stuff since the 60's and ZERO problems.

Mopar is way overprced.
I agree on the Mopar.
Mopar 56028138af

JeanO-Mac

Reaction score
Mopar 56028138af

JeepKJ_Guy

Reaction score
@JeanO-Mac,

After replacing the plugs and coil packs together there was real good increase in power, and along with replacing the sensors mentioned above, it really made it run extremely smooth, - has 193k miles on it.

Had a master mechanic of 40 yrs remark how good it runs.

The Denso coils on Amazon cost about $19 and Mopar cost $53, here is some more info:

https://www.densoautoparts.com/direct-ignition-coils-cop/

The fit of the coils was perfect and tight.

Also after each coil/plug that was replaced, - I started it up to verify it was good.

There is a Youtube video out there I watched before doing it.

JeanO-Mac

Reaction score
I have not had a chance to change out the coil packs yet, but I did put new spark plugs in. The coil packs are on the way.

Today I drove about 64 miles and on the tail end of the trip coming back home, lost power and was not able to get up over hills very easily. When I got home a neighbor plugged their code machine into the Jeep and it said that all Six cylinders were misfiring. I suppose this could be the coil packs or it could also be the ASD.

Any other thoughts aside from the other stuff you mentioned in your first message?

JeanO-Mac

Reaction score
When I changed out the spark plugs, I could see that all of the coil packs were very old.

JeepKJ_Guy

Reaction score
When I changed out the spark plugs, I could see that all of the coil packs were very old.
I also had many misfires on all the cylinders shown on the scanner, - one plug was so loose I could twist it out by hand, - kept wondering why the ratchet wouldn't click, it was Autolite, plus had different brand plugs for the other cylinders, all outta gap, the coils were original Mopar - after 21 years and 193k miles they were ready to be replaced.

I replaced plugs and coils at the same time, - started it up after each replacement, - I used Denso coils - Got those on Amazon:

I call that "clean slating" everything, then after I finished I still had codes for IAC, TPS, PCV, etc - I started out with 18 codes, and whittled each down 1 at a time, - plus changed air filter, and after that it really ran good, the idle was a little rough but wouldn't stall out.

I did replace the ASD relay.

Then I put a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner in it and I only use Shell gas and blew it out real good on the expressway several times, and drove it in 2nd to get the RPM's up - I read that Red Line cleaner is better, - has the most cleaning PEA's in it.

Used synthetic Mobil 1 Extended 5w 30w/filter, and used synthetic Valvoline for the transmission, - both were real dirty.

Does it run good? - just ask all the other jeeps that I blew their doors off!