Help recommend me a HU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd appreciate your input guys.

I've always bought JVC headunits. I actually really like one feature of the current lineup - you can change colors almost infinitely. What I don't like is they are fugly and they don't have station tuning buttons (i.e., 1-6) on the unit - you have to use the remote.

So, I really fell in love with the Sony MEXBT2700. I love the look, and I think I could live with the blue lighting (I'd prefer green to match. Yes, I am that ****) What I don't like is that the buttons don't dim, the display has to be dimmed manually, and the biggest is that Sony's new lineup seems to have this "remove the faceplate" reminder that beeps when you turn the vehicle off. There's no way to disable it. That will drive me nuts. I am also not sure the bluetooth is compatible with my Blackberry 8330.

I've also seen the Sony GTX530UI (I think it's a discontinued model). It's got the looks I like, I think I can change the color to green, but I think it still has the security beep issue and the non-dimming issue.

There's also another Sony - the CDX-GT640UI. Same deal - I can change the color, but no dim and the stupid beep.

Anyone have any other options that they love and that seem to look good in the KJ? Most of these "modern" units look like ass in my opinion. I am probably starting to show my age, but I miss the mid-to-late 90's look. Black, simple, and clean.

My "would likes" are fairly simple
- something that doesn't look like it belongs on a spaceship
- preferably green lighting, but I can look past that
- 1/8" Aux in (USB too is OK, but I'll never use it)
- Dimmable]
- Buttons on the faceplate for station presets

Really that's about it! I am REALLY asking for too much???

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put in a JVC KD-R900 JVC KD-R900, mostly for two reasons: I already had a JVC HD-radio box, and it had a remote, wired microphone for bluetooth. Yes, you're also not the only one **** about headunit colors. It replaced a JVC in-dash DVD player, the KD-AVX40, that was nice, expensive, and good-looking, but had unusable bluetooth performance as the mic was built into the faceplate. Callers could hear my turn signal flasher better than they could me.

Side note, to show how everyone's different. All three of your suggestions would be off my list since they use that 1980's-microwave, VFD-style display. I don't like to have to wait to see artist/track/title scrolling slowly while driving. I'd rather have all the info on the screen at once.

It's hard to find a decent radio that's good looking and has preset buttons on the front, but if you still want to go the JVC route, I'd recommend the KD-R900. When you hit the menu button, the preset list pops up. You dial the preset you want and press the dial to select. It's not as simple, but it beats the model I replaced, where you had to try and hold two buttons at the same time on the remote to get a preset.

The R900 seems to meet every one of your list of requirements except for the preset buttons, but as I said, they're not so far away. Once you get used to the list, it's not bad.

And btw, that metra dash kit in the other thread with the pocket...make sure whatever radio you get will fit. It's designed to give a flush-mounted appearance and some headunits with flip-down faces will either bind or not fit at all. I'm using one of those kits now, but had to have a normal one for the headunit I replaced.

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thankls for the head's up - I'll check out that JVC as well.

I may run to Best Buy today or tomorrow to dink around with some of the JVC models and check out the preset menu you described.

I actually don't mind the display on the Sony. Also, I think I found a way to cut out that stupid faceplate beep :)

L

lil black liberty

Sonicelectronix.com also check out the Eclipse Radios.. they are pretty bad out.. I had one and boy did I love it.. well that is til someone broke in and stole it..

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is HD worth it, or a pain in the rear?

When you lose HD, do the radios just jump back to analog, or does it cut out for a while? How seamless is the transition?

Trying to figure out if I'll want to chuck it out the window or not ;)