Horn troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

d3m0nss

Reaction score
06 liberty
leaky sunroof seems to have something screwed up..

the horn started blaring last night and refused to stop and until i disconnect the battery or fuse #1.
once the horn begins sounding the key thob no longer works to unlock/lock the vehicle..and i have to disconnect the battery a 2nd time in order for it to work

if i reconnect the negative but leave fuse 1 out of the fusebox eventually(10-15mins) the key thob will no longer work until i once again remove and reconnect the negative

any thoughts or suggestions on the issue at hand?
could a stuck horn relay cause the key thob to also stop working while horns goes off

d3m0nss

Reaction score
it's not the security system tho as that dosent go off until i manually unlock the car door with the key and open the door

it's more of sound as if the car horn is being held down by someone which kinda indicated me that the horn relay might be bad

i mentioned a leaky sunroof because it drips water down the pillar and onto the fuse box/relay area behind the kicker panel

Last edited:

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps yours is different than mine, but my interior fuse panel is in the drivers side of the dashboard. The distribution block is in the engine bay.
Fuse #3 of the interior fuse panel is for the horns.. no relay, as it doesn't open and close itself, but rather by pressing the contact points together inside the steering wheel.
Sounds to me, like you're having a problem with either the contact points staying connected, or your security system is activating itself.
Have you taken your kick panel off to make sure that no computer modules have sustained water damage/corrosion from your leak?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Or when horns a blowing try givin it a TAP TAP !! :gr_grin:

d3m0nss

Reaction score
Perhaps yours is different than mine, but my interior fuse panel is in the drivers side of the dashboard. The distribution block is in the engine bay.
Fuse #3 of the interior fuse panel is for the horns.. no relay, as it doesn't open and close itself, but rather by pressing the contact points together inside the steering wheel.
Sounds to me, like you're having a problem with either the contact points staying connected, or your security system is activating itself.
Have you taken your kick panel off to make sure that no computer modules have sustained water damage/corrosion from your leak?

in the 06's and probably just about every other liberty [i've only worked on 04's and 06's lol] interior fuse panel fuse1 controls horn,power windows, and sun/moon roof.. on the opposite side of that fuse panel there is a handful of relays where 2nd row down 2nd relay over [in unsure of it's actual number] controls just the horn and i believe is also somehow attached to the remote keyless entry system

Or when horns a blowing try givin it a TAP TAP !! :gr_grin:
with the relay in while the horn goes off tapping/smacking the horn does nothing..ive yet to have a chance to try tapping the relay it self when the horn started sounding as the neighbors were getting extremely pissed of the horn going off every 5-10minutes while i was attemping to trouble shoot the issue and started running outside with a baseball bat getting ready to knock me out.. i think i'll give em a day or 2 of rest before i try trouble shooting again lol

Last edited:

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in the 06's and probably just about every other liberty [i've only worked on 04's and 06's lol] interior fuse panel fuse1 controls horn,power windows, and sun/moon roof.. on the opposite side of that fuse panel there is a handful of relays where 2nd row down 2nd relay over [in unsure of it's actual number] controls just the horn and i believe is also somehow attached to the remote keyless entry system

with the relay in while the horn goes off tapping/smacking the horn does nothing..ive yet to have a chance to try tapping the relay it self when the horn started sounding as the neighbors were getting extremely pissed of the horn going off every 5-10minutes while i was attemping to trouble shoot the issue and started running outside with a baseball bat getting ready to knock me out.. i think i'll give em a day or 2 of rest before i try trouble shooting again lol

Lol let them assault you with it then.. you'll have plenty of time to troubleshoot the problem while they sit in jail :D

d3m0nss

Reaction score
If anyone's curious a new relay resolved the issue after i dried out the Libby for 2 day in a friends garrage..also for a temp fix for the leaky sunroof it is taped up until a new seal is delivered to me if that dosent work then it's epoxy time (wife nor i really use the sunroof anyways)

njjkrubi

Reaction score
Hey just ran across this post and it helped fix my issue. Thanks! My OM say fuse 3 controlled the horn and it wasn't blown...my windows stop working too when this happened, checked fuse 1 and yes blown! So seeing your post saved me. Thanks again!

njjkrubi

Reaction score
Another issue the was I had was the windshield leak that was dripping down behind the dash an onto the fuse box and relay panel. After I replaced fused one, the windows worked again but if I hit the horn the fuse would **** again. Seems like the relay for horn was blown. Replaced it for $8 and now everything is working....oh yeah had to get the windshield fixed as well. Thanks again!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you have to get the windshield cut out and then re-sealed? Or was it just back filled from outside?
In my case it was re & re & then it still leaked. So I used silicone as the back fill all around, no leaks now for 5 years. :)

Attachments

• Windshield clip3.jpg
    Windshield clip3.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 5