Liberty 2008????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trixie

Reaction score
My Jeep has recently had the front axle replaced and the front driver side shaft (?) replaced. It still makes a thump when I drive, more when acceleration (breaking and increasing speed). I feel like something is grinding under the driver seat. I also feel like it wobbles more these days, but it has been super windy in Va lately. Am I going crazy? Is this safe to drive?

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without looking at it it's impossible to say if it's safe, was the work on the front done recently? If so take it back.
Jack the front up and hold the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock, rock it side to side, repeat with your hands at 12 and 6 o'clock, look for anything loose, especially the bottom ball joint, if there is any play there the car is unsafe to drive.
Spin the wheel and listen and feel for any noise from the wheel bearing and drives haft joints. If the wheel bearing is noisy or has play then again thd car isn't safe to drive.
The grinding noise is probably the front propshaft CV joint, look at where it comes off the transfer box, there should be a rubber boot over the joint, with age it fails and wrecks the joint. You can remove the propshaft for repair and continue to use the car with it off, obviously it won't be a 4x4 without it!