MPG change with lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idaho Tracy

Reaction score
I guess I should stick to this old thread I started some time back. My KJ is sort of a cream puff. It is an O4 with only 130K miles, in real good shape and I like it a lot (except the speedo quit working and I haven't figured that out yet). I was working parttime and commuting about 32 miles a day, but now I am fully retired. The use of the KJ has evolved into 2 main uses for me: towing a cargo trailer I have made into a toyhauler and as a sort of overland vehicle as well. With regard to the towing application, (specs list a 3500# towing capacity) the trailer loaded presses it to the upper limits of that. It seems to me changing the axle ratios to 4.10 would make the engine load a little easier in the mountain roads. Does that seem logical to those of you more experienced? Also, I am considering a mild lift of about 1.5 or so (maybe OME parts) and the gearing change would be good for that application too. New heavier duty shocks would help with both applications. I value and appreciate your advice from you old salts. Thanks a bunch.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4.10 diffs will give you more torque, that will improve your towing capability on hills, an 04 will have very tired suspension too so I think your plan to upgrade it will definitely improve the Jeep.

Idaho Tracy

Reaction score
4.10 diffs will give you more torque, that will improve your towing capability on hills, an 04 will have very tired suspension too so I think your plan to upgrade it will definitely improve the Jeep.
Thanks for the confirmation. Any thoughts from anyone on the OME lift parts? OME (ARB) has been good in the past when I have used it for the 1st gen Cherokees that I have owned.