P0076 and SE90 Error Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BucksJeep

Reaction score
2003 KJ 2.8CRD Cutting Out-P0076 and 5E90 Error Codes

Hello

I have developed an issue with my 2003 KJ 2.8CRD cutting out. It doesn't happen on every single journey, but at least once a day - and when it does happen, it happens at pretty much the same point - after about 30 minutes of driving.

The engine just dies; I lose power and have to pull over to the side of the road. Interestingly, I get absolutely no warning light coming on (no CEL) only the oil light coming on as the engine slows and the oil pressure drops. Then I simply have to turn the ignition off...then back on..start it up and I'm away.

I've had it into the dealer and they couldn't find any codes, but they suspected a Crank Position Sensor, so I had this changed (made sure it was a genuine Mopar). Thought this had solved it, but after 2-weeks the problem came back.

Took it to a local auto repair and managed to borrow a reader and the last time it happened got the following:-

5E90 - Active Power Up at Speed
P0076 - Intake Valve Control Solenoid Circuit Low Bank 1

No idea what either of these mean...and can't even find any reference to the 5E90 code when I Google it??

Can anyone advise?

It mainly seems to happen when I'm pulling away from the side of the road or out of a junction or hard accelerating to overtake another vehicle - i.e. When I put a bit of stress onto the gearbox - so I'm thinking it’s related to the auto box shift up / down???...but really, I'm at a loss as to what may be the cause, so would welcome any suggestions??

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response.

You'll get better response and more accurate diagnostics by posing your question in the CRD section of the LOST Jeeps website. Lots of very knowledgeable CRD owners there who are very helpful. Us gassers here are out of our element when it comes to the oilburner. Good luck!

CRD Section: Love That Torque! LOST Jeeps

Bob

BucksJeep

Reaction score
TwoBobsKJ - you are an absolute star, sir!

Many thanks for the recommendation - this problem is driving me crazy...literally!!

Members online

No members online now.