Play in front differential input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LucasD

Reaction score
so I have had a mysterious clunk sound that started today when I drove to work. It is there at all speeds and gets faster as I speed up. It does go away momentarily while turning. I haven't done much investigating yet, will do it in a few days when I'm off work, but I did get underneath and check the front driveshaft I installed 2 weeks ago to make sure it wasn't that. I discovered that there is some play in the input of the front differential. I am not sure how much it is supposed to have so I was hoping I could get some insight into it. I tried to upload a video but couldn't. So I got a YouTube link for it.
Video of differential play

when messing with the driveshaft there wasn't any play up, down, or side to side. So I don't think any bearings are bad. I also put a pry bar on the cv joint going I to the diff and both sides had some play. Idk if that is normal. Thanks for any input into my situation.