Possible broken top mount on new lift? Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02projectkj

Reaction score
I have seen 2 different types, the type above that can be disassembled and one that can’t. The latter is often on cheap quick-struts. I believe they are interchangeable. Either way it looks like you forgot an important washer. This pic shows a version with a large washer on top, I think this is what you’re missing
It’s just crazy to think that I bought all new components for my whole suspension and washers didn
I looked carefully at the KK mounting plate and the holes are 30mm.
KK's mount bush can be disassembled.

Anything less than 30mm will pass through.

KJ's is probably the same.

You must be registered for see images attach
mine look very similar to this. No typical thin washer on top. All parts came pre-assembled to replace original

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it came pre-assembled without washer you should seek a refund or replacement and check the other one while you're at it.

02projectkj

Reaction score
If it came pre-assembled without washer you should seek a refund or replacement and check the other one while you're at it.
It seems like the washer should’ve come with the struts since the top nut did and it apparently goes under the top nut.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Here is mine … FJ/Taco/4runner but should be very similar. No zip tie with isolators and washers?

02projectkj

Reaction score
Here is mine … FJ/Taco/4runner but should be very similar. No zip tie with isolators and washers?

Yeah, mine are just one piece plus the 4 nuts on top…

02projectkj

Reaction score
I’ll be sure to let you know the results… I have a set going in shortly. We’ll get a cross sampling as it’s not for a KJ. ;)

If they don’t come with washers make sure you purchase new ones. Otherwise you’ll have to disassemble your old struts just for the washers. It’s really a stupid idea by KYB. They make you either buy new ones or risk getting hurt by disassembling your old struts. Why not just include new damn Washers?

02projectkj

Reaction score
So here are a few pics of the top mounts and the damage that occurred. KYB doesn’t include the required top washer with these mounts so make sure you buy new ones (I’d recommend grade 8 or better) before installing. I learned the hard way and have now had to do the job multiple times.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 1

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
That’s really strange.. I ended up with two set of washers and isolators… they came with the top hats and with the Bilsteins (6112’s)

02projectkj

Reaction score
That’s really strange.. I ended up with two set of washers and isolators… they came with the top hats and with the Bilsteins (6112’s)
Yeah, I have now ordered two sets for liberty kj (02-07) and neither set came with washers, just the 4 nuts to mount them.

ikuo78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're lucky it didn't fall apart during assembly.

The Monroe (Tenneco) mounting plate I recently bought had one washer, one isolator, and four nuts.
The studs were 10.8 grade which was a bit disappointing.
The rod nut came with the Monroe shock.
The shock came with assembly instructions, but the top plate did not.
Depending on the combination of parts used, there may be no assembly instructions.

With my combination, there is not enough isolator.

02projectkj

Reaction score
You're lucky it didn't fall apart during assembly.

The Monroe (Tenneco) mounting plate I recently bought had one washer, one isolator, and four nuts.
The studs were 10.8 grade which was a bit disappointing.
The rod nut came with the Monroe shock.
The shock came with assembly instructions, but the top plate did not.
Depending on the combination of parts used, there may be no assembly instructions.

With my combination, there is not enough isolator.
I wish it would’ve come apart during assembly (as long as nobody got hurt). Then I would’nt have had to do the job twice.