Question about speaker wire connections

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so I'm going to buy my own Alpine 5 1/4 type S and install those bad boys. One question though......... how in the hell do i figure out which wire is negative and positive?

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the positive wires are solid colors and the negative wires have a black stripe on them.

Or you can always do the test trick by leaving the music on, touching the wires to the speakers' terminals and listen for music to come out of them. O:)

SavageSS27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PM me with your e-mail and i'll send you the page from the service manual that has that wiring diagram on it, or, if you bought from crutchfield you can call them up....they have AWESOME customer service and told me exactly what each wire did...

RJR

Reaction score
Speaker Wire connections

An easy way to determine positive/neg speaker wires (and unmarked speakers) is to attach a 1.5 volt or 9 volt battery to the speaker. When the speaker cone moves OUT (pushes away from the magnet) the Positive battery terminal is attached to the positive side of the speaker.
To determine positive wire, just see which one attaches to the (now identified) positive speaker terminal.
Don't try this with tweeters....you'll smoke em !

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats not the problem RJR, the jeeps wires are not marked. I figured the one with the black stripe on it was neg.

sqliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Liber said:
ok so I'm going to buy my own Alpine 5 1/4 type S and install those bad boys. One question though......... how in the hell do i figure out which wire is negative and positive?

why not the 6 1/2's, these are the right size.